Question How to fix my dramatic fps drop?

Apr 16, 2024
Hey all.

This is my first post on here so i feel like im posting in the wrong section lol. However, a few days ago i went afk to go do some irl stuff. I come back and the game i was playing (Rust) crashed. Upon attempting to restart the game via steam, it came up with an error message about boot start or something similar. I ended up solving that issue by simply restarting my pc. however, ever since then, my fps in any game, including rust, has dropped from around 100-110 to around 9-15.

I have posted on reddit, and a person there told me to check system logs from around the time of the crash, to see what the problem was. Upon doing this, the only extraordinary error was the server not registering with DCOM. However, upon looking at my friends pc, that seems normal. I was then told to download chipset drivers from the website of the manufacturer of my motherboard, which i did and it changed nothing. I also opened the admin to look for corrupted files and ended up finding a few that were quickly repaired. Afterwards i was told to do a clean reinstall of my video drivers. Which i did and nothing changed. My final resort was to check my system countless times for any malware or virsues, and alas, my computer found nothing.

The only thing i think it could be is some files from a mobile transfer app i downlaoded and it wont let me delete. However, my friend downloaded the same app as i did and his pc is still fine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I hope this thread made sense i am still new to pc and unsure of the specifics.
- Heres my processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHz
- 16 gb RAM
- I am in windows 11
- Graphics card: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

NanoSuit3

Honorable
Jun 1, 2017
I mean . . . it comes without any doubt that this happened in my eyes is that . . . that GPU your using is the IG from the CPU which to me WOULD drastically affect visual feedback from your system. That's basically all I can think of. Just buy a GPU and that's basically it lol................................

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

You might want to try and use DDU to remove all GPU drivers(AMD, Nvidia and Intel) off your platform, then manually reinstall the latest driver sourced from Intel's support site. Install it in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Did the issue crop up after an OS update? Might want to open up Task Manager and monitor resources in case they're being abnormally high.

Apr 16, 2024

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

You might want to try and use DDU to remove all GPU drivers(AMD, Nvidia and Intel) off your platform, then manually reinstall the latest driver sourced from Intel's support site. Install it in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Did the issue crop up after an OS update? Might want to open up Task Manager and monitor resources in case they're being abnormally high.
I used DDU and redownloaded my driver, and yet the issue persists.

Apr 16, 2024
I mean . . . it comes without any doubt that this happened in my eyes is that . . . that GPU your using is the IG from the CPU which to me WOULD drastically affect visual feedback from your system. That's basically all I can think of. Just buy a GPU and that's basically it lol................................
Maybe, but my pc was running on 100 fps on most games, then it just went to 10 frames. idk

Apr 16, 2024

CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Would factory resetting solve this?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
So can you answer the question about components? You've listed no GPU, only the integrated graphics, and I can't image you playing games at 100-110 fps on integrated graphics unless you're talking games from 2006. Specifics are important.