Question How to fix my laptop's black screen of death?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 30, 2019
The story was i was playing games awhile ago and my laptop screen flickers everytime i move my screen up and down. The issue started a couple of days ago. I didn't pay attention to it that much since the problem often occurs. But before i was playing, the moment i was powering my laptop on, i noticed that the screen started flickering. As usual i didn't pay attention to it but i got curious and started to experiment if the problem is still there so i started to move my screen up and down and of course it flickered and then another move to it made it go into black screen mode. My laptop screen was pitch black but i can still hear my game's audio in the background. I tried to reboot it hoping it will go back to normal but when i rebooted it there was no acer logo or windows 10 booting up screen. I tried several methods like switching the ram sticks and using one and many more but it didn't work. So i tried using external monitor and luckily my laptop still produces images but not in my laptop screen but in the external monitor. After a couple of researches i concluded that it has something to do with the backlight however when i turn on my laptop i can't see nothing not even a slightest light or movement even in a dark room with a flashlight pointing at the screen. If anyone of you has experienced this kind of problem would you recommend me a solution? I would like to solve this without going to a repair shop but if its the last resort then i will have to go and let the professionals handle this problem.
P. S.
My laptop is an acer and has internal battery

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2019
Sounds like a loose or broken connection/s between the motherboard and display. Unless you are skilled at laptop repair this is a job for a shop.
Hello so i just got back from a repair shop and they recommended me to replace my laptop screen right away when i told them about the issue. They didn't open my laptop and troubleshoot if there's a loose wire or something... I just told them about the problem. Can you give me your thoughts pls? Should i get it replace or try another shop?

Jul 30, 2019
Any so called tech that doesn't at least do rudimentary troubleshooting is one to avoid in the future. Take the laptop to another shop, and make sure that they actually look at the problem.
So i've taken it to another shop and they said the same thing. The problem is the lcd. I guess i should get my lcd replace.

nooneisback

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2014
So i've taken it to another shop and they said the same thing. The problem is the lcd. I guess i should get my lcd replace.
Probably not. Either all of the repair shops in your region are bad, they might be trying to rip you off, or there is something else that could be happening. LCD replacements are quite costly, so they could be trying to take as much money as possible (easier to rip off 50$ from a 200$ deal than a 10$ one).

Come to another shop thoroughly explaining the issue. Also do mention that you are 99% certain that the display connector went loose, but don't want to open it up yourself. They will know that you have at least some level of knowledge when it comes to PCs and aren't just a random "My screen won't turn on" person that they can take for a 10km walk.

Reactions: ex_bubblehead
May 15, 2019
There are YouTube videos showing how to reconnect lvds cable on motherboard connector side and lcd side.

It's a pull apart laptop job. But don't be scared. It's not hard. Usually frame around lcd snaps apart removing hidden screws by peeling rubber stickers away or using guitar pick to pry apart. Motherboard access is by prying up keyboard with surrounding frame and undoing all screws under first. Reconnect the video lvds connector and try again. If still bad u need to order new lvds cable. Try aliexpress.
Good luck.

Jul 30, 2019
Probably not. Either all of the repair shops in your region are bad, they might be trying to rip you off, or there is something else that could be happening. LCD replacements are quite costly, so they could be trying to take as much money as possible (easier to rip off 50$ from a 200$ deal than a 10$ one).

Come to another shop thoroughly explaining the issue. Also do mention that you are 99% certain that the display connector went loose, but don't want to open it up yourself. They will know that you have at least some level of knowledge when it comes to PCs and aren't just a random "My screen won't turn on" person that they can take for a 10km walk.
Well that's what's going on with my mind... I think they're trying to rip me off... Don't worry ill try another one again and i haven't replaced my screen yet. Thanks for your opinion on this matter

Jul 30, 2019
There are YouTube videos showing how to reconnect lvds cable on motherboard connector side and lcd side.

It's a pull apart laptop job. But don't be scared. It's not hard. Usually frame around lcd snaps apart removing hidden screws by peeling rubber stickers away or using guitar pick to pry apart. Motherboard access is by prying up keyboard with surrounding frame and undoing all screws under first. Reconnect the video lvds connector and try again. If still bad u need to order new lvds cable. Try aliexpress.
Good luck.
I've tried disassembling it but i'm stuck with the screws of the lcd screen... It won't come off. I am using a Ph1 screwdriver but it still wont come out. It is stripped now since i've tried to unscrew it multiple times so now it's harder to unscrew. The screw is so tight unlike the screws that holds the cables in my screen... They are easy to remove but those four screws holding my lcd won't unscrew. Any help would be appreciated. Also i would like to add that the screws of the screen arent similar to the rest of the screws. The color of where you put the screwdriver were gray unlike the easily removable screws that are black in color.

Last edited:

nooneisback

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2014
The screen's side of the display connector is usually soldered onto the panel itself, so you don't need to unscrew the panel to check it. Just open the back and check where a thick cable runs from one of the hinges and connects to the mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.