[SOLVED] How to fix Overheated PC???

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ThemegaHG

Prominent
Mar 26, 2019
Hey, My PC specs are at bottom. Thanks in advance! I have had this issue alot for more resons on another thread, but my computer has overheated and BSOD about 10 times over its lifespan. I went upstairs and came down 10 mins later and found my computer commited suicide by killing MSI afterburner for no reson while heroes and generals was running. It supposedly died and when I came down and went to touch the PC, it was 90F~ for the case. I went to restart it with a simple click of the power button, yet alas, nothing. Nothing at all. No fan weeee or LED in sight. I'd assume its a power issue, but I cant be certan becasue this is completely new to me. Can you give my any suggestions to get it functioning again? Is it a power issue or Mobo or anything? I am just really worried as im broke as hell and just bought this with the last bit of my money to relax and now its jacked. I've tried power cord circuit breaker different power socket, not sure if it's the psu still or what thank you so much.

Please help me figure witch component ( if any ) Is damaged and needs replacing, or if its some automatic shutdown and I can necro it to life, pleassssse advise.

Ive checked other threads but nothing close to this specific problem.

PC SPECS:
Eclipse p300 Temperd Glass.
3x case fans
XPG SSD 256gb
XFX rx 580
Ryzen 1600
Team group Vulcan 16gb RAM
MSI B450M pro
Corsair CX550m PSU (bronze I think)

Reactions: CallMeFriend
Solution
It lights up, so I guess it's not dead, but perhaps the psu throws up the white flag once you plug it in.
So to be sure, you'd need to test with another gpu, or try the gpu in another system.

ThemegaHG

Prominent
Mar 26, 2019
I think the only way to tell would be to try a different GPU...

When you got the motherboard to light up, and the fans to start spinning, did the GPU light up at all - I'm not sure if your particular model has any onboard LEDs.

Yes. It has 1 LED that will light RED when the power is not connected, and blue when it is stable. When I first built it, it was blue and the whole PC worked first click with no problems. But now when I unplug the 6+2 power cable that is supposed to be in the GPU, I get a lit-up computer, yet with a red light on the GPU. Indicating that the power is not set up, which it isn't. I then plugged the 6+2 power cable into the GPU. I tried again to start it up, and nothing turns on like it used to. I do not know what is the problem now, as the GPU LED seems to work even without power from the PSU, yet when connected to the PSU the entire system refuses to even start.

ThemegaHG

Prominent
Mar 26, 2019
It lights up, so I guess it's not dead, but perhaps the psu throws up the white flag once you plug it in.
So to be sure, you'd need to test with another gpu, or try the gpu in another system.
I tried plugging the 6pin in 1 more time to see if a miracle would happen, and actually, it lit up with blue! Then Promptly made a sparky noise and then shut off, now there is a pretty nauseating smell in the air. This is terrible. Almost certain the GPU is fried. How could it break after 6 months and not even throttle down after overheating? I cant even pay for a new one so now im out of a pc until I can rack 200 more dollars out of nowhere.

You could also see the components, specially the pins and circuit conections of the RAM and CPU.
If you take out the CPU or a RAM stick and you see a decolored darksish mark on the back where the pins and circuit conections are (it could be on the front too) to the motherboard are, then that will mean with an almsot 99,9%certain that part is burnned.

ThemegaHG

Prominent
Mar 26, 2019
You could also see the components, specially the pins and circuit conections of the RAM and CPU.
If you take out the CPU or a RAM stick and you see a decolored darksish mark on the back where the pins and circuit conections are (it could be on the front too) to the motherboard are, then that will mean with an almsot 99,9%certain that part is burnned.
Alright, I will definitely take a careful look when I get home. Is there any way I can check the GPU for burns and such because since the LED is still on, I'm not sure if it is broken or just the PSU broke and hates it when I plug the GPU in and takes a weird power draw or something to short the system.

ThemegaHG

Prominent
Mar 26, 2019
Okay got back and it seems like the GPU is just screwed. Not shure how its possible when it shuts itself off within too hot temps, did it melt and got to hot, screwing it up forever? Just seems insane

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It's probably as I mentioned earlier. The psu was not up to handling the RX 580... or there was something yet to be covered.

The reasons for the high temps were due to the poor airflow design of the Phanteks P300:
-the front panel
-the psu shroud
-high ambient temps: do you live in a warm climate?

ThemegaHG

Prominent
Mar 26, 2019
It's probably as I mentioned earlier. The psu was not up to handling the RX 580... or there was something yet to be covered.

The reasons for the high temps were due to the poor airflow design of the Phanteks P300:
-the front panel
-the psu shroud
-high ambient temps: do you live in a warm climate?
Thanks so much for the case input and sorry but just to be clear, the GPU isnt the problem?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Psu is the problem most likely, the gpu just a victim. That's the answer in 50% of cases with a decent 550w psu pushing a factory overclocked Rx580.

The other 50% being there's nothing intrinsically wrong with the psu, but the gpu blew of its own accord.

Regardless of outcome, the gpu is only 6 months old and I'm assuming you are original owner. Contact the place you bought it, and if that fails then contact XFX and see what your options are for a warranty RMA repair/replacement.

ThemegaHG

Prominent
Mar 26, 2019
Psu is the problem most likely, the gpu just a victim. That's the answer in 50% of cases with a decent 550w psu pushing a factory overclocked Rx580.

The other 50% being there's nothing intrinsically wrong with the psu, but the gpu blew of its own accord.

Regardless of outcome, the gpu is only 6 months old and I'm assuming you are original owner. Contact the place you bought it, and if that fails then contact XFX and see what your options are for a warranty RMA repair/replacement.
So should I order a new PSU, and if it's fixed then spectacular, but if the PSU was fine can I just send it back and try a new GPU? I'm not sure if the XFX warranty covers this as it has overheated a few times but I'm not sure if that's a manufacturing defect and it's not dissipating heat fast enough or what.

ThemegaHG

Prominent
Mar 26, 2019

Amazing news. Got a ghetto old GPU like realllly old, and then found some random cord that was actually able to connect to said ghetto GPU, and convert to HDMI, and was able to display that CMOS was cleared! so It is a GPU issue and I actually filed a report with XFX so thank you everyone for suggestions and Ill just pick whoever seems to have the best answer.

Reactions: RodroX