How to Fix Slow Internet Speed in Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keolien88

Reputable
Mar 7, 2014
This article's title is awful and misleading. Invalid DNS does not cause internet to be "slow." Invalid DNS for the particular domain/site in question would cause a failure to load.Also, the title makes it sound like the issue is specific to Windows 8, as in Windows 8 has slow internet speed, here's how to fix it, and not just a How to Clear the DNS resolver cache on a Windows 8 machine. C'mon!

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
For a second I thought there was going to be a recommendation of using some Internet speed boosting software like back in the early days of broadband and late days of 56k. I think it would have been a better front page story in that case...

sloth2004

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
for whatever stupid reason, MS did make win8 has problem in resolving DNS name, the above method seems usable to me. I would like to schedule this as task so i wont see the 404 error in browser.

00svtcobrar

Reputable
Mar 7, 2014
Windows key + r then type cmd is so much faster. There is literally no need to use the mouse AT ALL to do this. This is a tech website, the author should know better

unknown_

Reputable
Mar 5, 2014
Yeah what a weird article...and how does deleting temp files "expedite the internet speed in Windows 8"?This is some third world style tech tips right here...

dokonewski

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
Because it's easier to blame something someone knows nothing about. This article and it's headline are garbage. The mouse is not necessary to flush the DNS cache.If you want it as a scheduled task, create a text file that contains "IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS", hit save and then rename extension from .txt to .bat. Then use your favorite task scheduler.

I thought this was going to be one of those April Fools Day articles, heh. I agree, the title is very misleading. Imagine the click-thru this will receive without much result on the end-user side. Iwantz MOAR Internetz!

epobirs

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
This problem and solution is almost old enough to vote. Why title the article to make it sound like it is specific to Windows 8?

eriko

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
I'm ALL for bashing Windows 8, but I don't think this article is fair to it.If you have someone DNS Spoofing on your LAN / WLAN, you've got bigger problems than worrying about logging into FB / surfing / etc...I suggest anyone examining their DNS records, and discovering spoofed entries, need check their network security. Starting with your WLAN, login to your Router/Access Point, and see how many devices are currently connected to your WLAN, the results might surprise you. Change the security to WPA2 & AES (CCMP). Change the wireless password to something random, and at least 10 characters (important this one), and don't forget to change the default login to the Router/Access Point itself. And disable WPS too. Disable WPS too. I repeat one more time, disable WPS too.If on a wired LAN, verify all connected devices are legitimate. Trace the cables, disconnecting each device to see if it goes on and offline. A LAN tester is good in this regard.Check the devices on your LAN, anybody infected? Are you getting re-directs when opening your Browser? Lots of pop-ups? Slower than usual system performance? Than this system could be the one on your LAN spoofing DNS, spreading viruses/exploits, capturing traffic, and the like.I know this is highly simplified, but it is a good place to start. Network security is normally best left to the professionals, but that means putting your hand in your pocket. But as always, you get what you pay for...

Truckinupga

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012
There is a much easier way to clean DNS Cache. If you have CCleaner just check the box in the Windows tab of the cleaner that says DNS Cache, then run the cleaner. If you don't have CCleaner from Piriform then I would recommend it. Its a great tool to have and its free.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Let me guess, this is on of those "tutorials" that was written for the contest Tom's was running right? Clearly 0 fact checking was done here. Stale DNS entries only occur under a couple of conditions a) DNS entry is incorrect to begin with (it's the websites problem not yours) b) There's a bug were the DNS entries aren't expiring like they're suppose to. Most importantly a stale DNS entry won't cause slow speeds! You can't connect if the entries aren't resolving correctly! And let's not forget that the entries expire after a day or so anyway! Finally this won't fix DNS spoofing, it's something completely different!

Sep 22, 2013
Just lock your DNS server to a public domain server like one from Google.If you art your router's DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 you'll always bounce http/https search requests against a known Google DNS.Clearing your temp folder isn't a bad idea but it's also not the only place your PC caches internet temp files.This is a noob article by all means. It's inspired me to write a proper how-to in the forums for system optimization.Stay tuned ;)

Sep 22, 2013
Just lock your DNS server to a public domain server like one from Google. If you set your router's DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 you'll always bounce http/https search requests against a known Google DNS. Clearing your temp folder isn't a bad idea but it's also not the only place your PC caches internet temp files. This is a noob article by all means. It's inspired me to write a proper how-to in the forums for system optimization. Stay tuned ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.