Question How to fix stuttering?

Fatpcsnat

Prominent
Feb 22, 2019
I've had my new PC for about a week now, and i've encountered some stuttering while playing GTA V.

I'm not sure why this is happening, but i've already put my computer into high performance mode, and that leads me to believe that maybe the components are overheating?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Fatpcsnat/saved/mf2FGX

boju

Titan
Ambassador
You may have seen stats in youtube videos like the picture below, that's what Msi Afterburner can do.
Display-2.png

Tutorial how:

Your line regarding Freesync cut out.

In Nvidia CP, leave Vsync on application control and in GTA 5 set vsync to half. For me last time i checked with Vsync off i had a weird stutter. It wasn't the usual stutter this was some complication the game had with either Gsync or something else. Game play was fine however certain times the camera view would pull in or out quickly looking like a stutter. Vsync on half fixed that for me. Thought to mention it.

Fatpcsnat

Prominent
Feb 22, 2019
Sorry, I meant to say that Im running free-sync on a G-sync capable graphics card, but its incompatible with my moniter, not sure if that matters.

Also I do have a service similar to that, its called Cam, it allows me to see my fps and gpu and cpu temperatures, ill test it out and find you an average, but ive never seen the gpu go over 70°C and the cpu above 60°C.

Not home atm, but I will try to use half V-sync, but it was my understanding that you shouldnt use V-sync with free-sync or G-sync active? Was I incorrect in this assumption?

Whats a good game I can test out to see if the issues continue? Would CS:GO do? Or should i download a more dense and requiring game?

Thanks so much for the help.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Sorry, I meant to say that Im running free-sync on a G-sync capable graphics card, but its incompatible with my moniter, not sure if that matters.

Do you mean your monitor being Freesync that Gsync directly isn't compatible? Long as Freesync is working and enabled in your monitor and Nvidia CP see's it as Gsync it should be working. Nvidia allows Displayport's A-sync to work with Gsync with new cards. AMD calls it Freesync but it's actually the architecture of Displayport.

Regarding Vsync, yes should have it on application control and enable it in game if FPS exceeds the refresh rate. Freesync/Gsync monitor's have an optimal Hz range, for example yours has 30Hz to 144Hz and if FPS goes over 144Hz Freesync or Gsync turns off automatically. For best results is to have FPS within sync range and Vsync helps keep it there. With in the range there should be no tearing and v.minimal input lag.