[SOLVED] How to Fix the Windows Search

Gumball18

Reputable
Nov 10, 2016
It seems as a Windows Update caused a problem with Windows Search being grayed out and not showing anything. Everyone is experiencing the problem I'm seeing on the forums. This is a Registry Edit you can do that will fix this issue.

Right click the Windows button to get to "Run", then type in "regedit" to access the Registry Editor
Capture.PNG

Navigate to the following path: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search
Capture.PNG

Once you get there, right click to make a new DWORD-32 Value and call it "BingSearchEnabled". Right click that file you just made and click "Modify". Make sure it is set to 0.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG

After that is done, click okay and find a value called "CortanaConsent". This also will need to be set to 0.
Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Once that is finished, restart Windows and it should resume function

I would like to note that this edit will not allow the search to connect to the internet for online based searches.

Last edited:
Solution
According to MS, the 1909 was included in the Oct 8, 2019 1903 update (KB4517389), but was in an "inactive and dormant state" waiting for the enablement package. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ia-windows-10-version-1909-enablement-package . That package is now available for download and install (KB4517245). Following downloading and installing this package, KB4532695 showed up for download and installation, which is described as a cumulative update for both 1903 and 1909. So far I haven't found any issues, including the search bar which is functioning as before.

KB4517245 was a quick download and install, while KB4532695 took a little longer, but certainly was not the size and length of...
Dec 25, 2019
It seems as a Windows Update caused a problem with Windows Search being grayed out and not showing anything. Everyone is experiencing the problem I'm seeingThere is a Registry Edit you can do that will fix this issue.

Right click the Windows button to get to "Run", then type in "regedit" to access the Registry Editor
Capture.PNG

Navigate to the following path: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search
Capture.PNG

Once you get there, right click to make a new DWORD-32 Value and call it "BingSearchEnabled". Right click that file you just made and click "Modify". Make sure it is set to 0.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG

Once that is finished, restart Windows and it should resume function
Thank you this worked :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
which version of win 10 is this for? When I say version, I don't mean Home or Pro. I mean Version number as unless my updates are slack, I haven't received this update yet (and am reluctant to load windows update incase its sitting there waiting for me to look... since I got 1909 its been way less pushy.

SO is this a patch for 1909 and does anyone know which KB?

Gumball18

Reputable
Nov 10, 2016
which version of win 10 is this for? When I say version, I don't mean Home or Pro. I mean Version number as unless my updates are slack, I haven't received this update yet (and am reluctant to load windows update incase its sitting there waiting for me to look... since I got 1909 its been way less pushy.

SO is this a patch for 1909 and does anyone know which KB?
I'm not 100% on which update breaks everything, but I'm going to guess the KB4532695 update could be a culprit (Still not fully sure)

According to MS, the 1909 was included in the Oct 8, 2019 1903 update (KB4517389), but was in an "inactive and dormant state" waiting for the enablement package. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ia-windows-10-version-1909-enablement-package . That package is now available for download and install (KB4517245). Following downloading and installing this package, KB4532695 showed up for download and installation, which is described as a cumulative update for both 1903 and 1909. So far I haven't found any issues, including the search bar which is functioning as before.

KB4517245 was a quick download and install, while KB4532695 took a little longer, but certainly was not the size and length of install of 1903.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
Yes, i recall that update. It took 30 minutes to install which is long in relation to most Cumulative Updates. Sure explains why when I did get 1909 it installed in about 2 minutes. I had guessed that was the case at the time.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I just got this - February 11, 2020—KB4532693 (OS Builds 18362.657 and 18363.657)

and February 11, 2020-KB4534132 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 Version 1903 and Windows Server 1903 RTM and Windows 10 , version 1909 and Windows Server, version 1909

and a Flash Update

and search still works? Its possible they fixed it in the last few days.