How to fix Windows 10 Fatal Update Error C00000D4

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

xMakaSoul

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016
I keep getting this error everytime i boot my pc.

It started like 6 weeks ago and it was a different error I couldn't figure it out so i clean installed windows 10 on it again. It went good for a while but after a few weeks it started again.. I tried troubleshooting windows update and I tried reboot repair but it didn't work...

I hope one of you can help me out and help me fix this problem, it's getting really annoying now

Solution

notlim981

Distinguished

Well that's kinda obvious but backup your data before performing a clean install as all your data will be deleted during the process. Good luck.

Solution

xMakaSoul

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016

I didn't read clean install, anyway I will later today at the moment I still have some client work to do wanna finish that first. I'll update you after the clean install

notlim981

Distinguished

Ok, please do that. Good luck.

Aug 31, 2018

Man, thanks a lot! I was having this C00..D4 error with my win10 update. And the problem was that I changed my default program files to my HDD in D:\. So in the regedit I changed my program files folder back to C:\ and I used the diskCleanup as you recommend, and then my windows update was working again.

This problem was driving me crazy! Thanks again!

Tudvari

Commendable
Feb 25, 2017
GG WINDOWS
I reseted the regedit to my SSD, and the update is finally installed.
Is there a way to edit the default install location so it won't mess up Windows main features?
Edit: I changed even more default paths, maybe next update will work fine. If not, I will have to switch everything back, before every windows update.

"I managed to fix the error last time, I changed the default location of my Program Files and Program Files (x86) back to the same drive windows is installed to. I changed it back to my preferred setup, but the error occurred again during the recent cumulative update. Why can't the update go through with my program files set up the way I want them to be? Will this be a consistent issue for every update? I don't want my program files on my C: drive."

"I too found the hard way, windows update is practically incapable of using more than one disk volume.

SXS is mainly to blame for this. When "Program Files" does not reside on system volume where sxs directory sits, it will simply throw hands in the air and proceed to do completely silly stuff.

I doubt anybody at microsoft responsible for SXS will hear this, but: Please, pretty please, when hardlink fails, just re-try with symlink. Not this making-WU-completely-useless madness."

Last edited: