[SOLVED] How to fix windows installation stuck at 23%?

May 2, 2020
I have a new hard drive and ssd and I’m currently installing windows onto my ssd with a usb disk drive and the windows 10 pro disc with a new product key. The installation is stuck at 23% for about an hour now. Someone said it takes a while, is this normal or is something wrong? Thanks for any help!

Solution
Makes sense. What other solution would you have to install without cd?
From another working PC, download the MediaCreation tool and create your own USB.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

USAFRet

Titan
Either:
  1. The DVD or USB you're installing from is faulty
  2. The data you used to create the DVD or USB is faulty
  3. The target drive is faulty.
  4. Some other hardware issue

Please give us a full rundown of all the parts involved here.
And when installing Windows, you want only ONE drive connected. Physically disconnect all others.

May 2, 2020
Either:
  1. The DVD or USB you're installing from is faulty
  2. The data you used to create the DVD or USB is faulty
  3. The target drive is faulty.
  4. Some other hardware issue
Please give us a full rundown of all the parts involved here.
And when installing Windows, you want only ONE drive connected. Physically disconnect all others.
The disc is reading from the usb drive time. I can hear the cd start and stop. I unplugged my hdd and left only my ssd plugged in and it’s a 240gb ssd. The cd did have scratches on it but it is still reading it.

USAFRet

Titan
The disc is reading from the usb drive time. I can hear the cd start and stop. I unplugged my hdd and left only my ssd plugged in and it’s a 240gb ssd. The cd did have scratches on it but it is still reading it.
"The cd did have scratches on it but"

Then you need something else to install with.
It is getting to that scratched place and can't read anymore.

USAFRet

Titan
Makes sense. What other solution would you have to install without cd?
From another working PC, download the MediaCreation tool and create your own USB.

Solution
May 2, 2020
J

im guessing I would use a flash drive? If so what size would I need?

USAFRet

Titan
Okay thank you! Just hit that link and download it to that drive? Then reboot and install from that flash drive?
No.
Froma working Windows PC, you download the MediaCreation tool. A small exe.
Run that from an Administrator account and it will go through the steps to build what is needed on the USB.

The first part of the How To link I posted outlines the whole process.

May 2, 2020
No.
Froma working Windows PC, you download the MediaCreation tool. A small exe.
Run that from an Administrator account and it will go through the steps to build what is needed on the USB.

The first part of the How To link I posted outlines the whole process.
so pretty much once its all done and onto the flash drive i will have to burn it to a cd??

doc_up

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
I have a new hard drive and ssd and I’m currently installing windows onto my ssd with a usb disk drive and the windows 10 pro disc with a new product key. The installation is stuck at 23% for about an hour now. Someone said it takes a while, is this normal or is something wrong? Thanks for any help!
Can I ask why you are using two different installation media?
Sometimes on a scratched disk it will hit a bad spot and stop spinning. When you hit that 23% again, let it sit for a few minutes then open the tray and pay attention to whether or not the disk is spinning. If it's not, try advancing the disk by hand a little then close the tray, sometimes that will get it going again. Or, you can use Imgburn to create a new .ISO image from the scratched disk. I've had success with that before