Question How to flash the vBIOS on an ASUS card ?

Jul 26, 2024
I very recently discovered that I seem to have a bugged VBIOS for my card, where specifically DP output will refuse to work. I bought my GPU (ASUS ROG-STRIX-RTX 3080 TI-O12G-GAMING) back in 2021-11-28. This was during that whole microchip shortage during the pandemic and was early into the lifecycle of the 30-series cards, I'm certain we got a pretty old card. My problem is that, during specifically RESTARTs with Display Port for my screen, the motherboards white VGA lights up and stays. A VBIOS update on the ASUS support website seems to fix my exact issue. Whenever you load into windows this isnt a problem as it manages to recover from it, but loading into the MB-bios for example is impossible. I explained my problem with this more in depth on a different forum post before I found out about the VBIOS (right here).

I tried checking ASUS support site about how to flash the VBIOS (this one right here), but the guide in insufficent and doesn't explain my situation. The guide only shows how to flash either a E-mode bios or a winflash one. The file that gets provided for my VBIOS update is neither of them, and is just called RTX3080_V1.exe (ASUS bios page). Going into the Nvidia control panel, I can check my current VBIOS version (94.02.71.80.9C) and using TechPowerUp's VGA bios collection, it looks to be the newest? But on ASUS site, the VBIOS there seems to be even newer than the newest one's in the TechPowerUp VGA collection. The VBIOS I have currently (acording to TechPowerUp) is one of the two newest, but this totally contradicts what's said on ASUS site, as the compile date for my version is 2021-07-22, while ASUS VBIOS on their site is from 2021-08-10. Searching up the SHA256 from the ASUS VBIOS gives you nothing but their own site about it.

All of this has led me to be confused, and with questions to ask.
1. What VBIOS version IS the correct one to have. ASUS site seems to be the newest one in creation date, even though I cant find it from any other source talking about it.
2. If I so happen to have the old VBIOS, how do I go about flashing the new one onto the card, ASUS guide is useless and I can't find any information about how to proceed, is it just so simple as opening the .exe they provide?
3. What's the risk of doing this. Is it even worth to try and flash a new VBIOS onto my card, or should I just stop using DP and just live with using HDMI limiting the FPS to 144.