[SOLVED] How to force a game to use 100% of GPU with V-Sync on ?

Enix1212

Prominent
Oct 19, 2019
Hello,

I have a GTX 1060 6 GB. When playing RDR2, I did a benchmark with Vsync off and noticed that the fps never dropped below 60 (with gpu fully used), but when doing same test using vsync on, my fps drops to 56 or 57 when gpu usage hikes up to 99%.
For example :-
When going close to camp fires, the fps drops from 75 to 65 or 67. (with vsync off)
But with vsync on, it still drops by 7 or 8 fps, even if my gpu is capable to render it at 67 fps, which should be sufficient to lock the fps at 60. I dont know why I am having fps drop , below 60 when my gpu never dropped below 65 with vsync off. Is there anyway to force my gpu to use full power even with vsync off or fix this ?

Solution
V-Sync buffers frames, I believe 3 in advance. It is more than just a cap on the FPS, the extra workload could be the reason for drops under 60 FPS. What happens if you slightly lower game settings?

Personally I don’t like the lag V-Sync introduces. Have you tried using an FPS limiter/cap set at 59-60?

Enix1212

Prominent
Oct 19, 2019
I tried Fast V-Sync and now I am getting around 70 fps but the game feels laggy at that.. the fps is not locked at monitor's refresh rate and the game doesnt feel so smooth anymore.

Mahisse

Distinguished
Perhaps it's the refresh rate of the monitor that is not able to catch 60 Hz all the time.. If it locks around 57-60 fps with vsync on I would guess it's the screen refresh rate that is limited somehow.
But do you get screen tearing or similar since you want to have vsync turned on?

V-Sync buffers frames, I believe 3 in advance. It is more than just a cap on the FPS, the extra workload could be the reason for drops under 60 FPS. What happens if you slightly lower game settings?

Personally I don’t like the lag V-Sync introduces. Have you tried using an FPS limiter/cap set at 59-60?

Solution