How to Format an SD Card?

Sep 21, 2013
I can't format my micro SD card (4 GB). When i try to format it the computer just keeps saying "Windows was unable to complete the format." The write protection is off. I delete the files on it and when I refresh it the files are still there. What should I do?

Solution

Your system is infected with virus and hence is not possible to unlock the processes that are accessing card.

First install Microsoft Security Essentials then install unlocker. Do a full scan and then run unlocker on the card connected to your computer, kill all process and then format it.

Good luck!

techsamurai

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013

Your system is infected with virus and hence is not possible to unlock the processes that are accessing card.

First install Microsoft Security Essentials then install unlocker. Do a full scan and then run unlocker on the card connected to your computer, kill all process and then format it.

Good luck!

Solution

PassMark

Distinguished
What kind of files are on the drive?
Maybe the files or volume is being held open by some application or service? While I guess there is some chance this might be a virus, there is also a good probability there is an innocent explanation.

k1zandie

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
I have the same problems.I tried to move android Data and Obb and .android-secure to my SD.then I started getting< SD card damaged.try reformatting it>.with my phone I can t even mount my SD.I tried it in a computer with an Adaptor and with a RAm reader but every time I get(windows was unable to format).I tried Sd formatter too.either with locked and unlocked adaptor I get write-protected eror.what can I do to remove read-only files I got from my android data on my SD?

dan5001

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013

I have exactly the same problem with my Samsung 64Gb micro SD that I bought for my ASUS TF700T Infintiy Pad. It worked fine in the pad initially but I put in my PCs card reader & my PC wouldn't read it until I formatted it. I did this using SDCard.org's 'SD Formatter v4' & now my Infinity Pad keeps getting I/O errors & won't let me put any data onto it. I tried re-formatting it in my girlfriend's Samsung SII but now it says the card is damaged!! I've just treid the card back in my PC's card reader & that will no longer read the card either, saying that the file system is corrupted!!

Is there anything I can do to salvage this card or have I just blown my hard-earned cash?? :-(

Do2er

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/107
I know this is for Sandisk but it shows how to do it on your PC and it works fine. No need to download anything

Muganwas

Reputable
Sep 10, 2014

I know my solution might be a few months late but i know it will help someone out there. I had the same problem for a few days and tried to look for the answer in all sorts of forums in vain. The it finally occurred to me that it a must be something to do with the read/write permissions so i went to youtube and looked for a tutorial on how to change the read/write permission on a flash disk/memory card. It turns out i was right, all you have to do is figure out how to allow writing to the sd card. I guess its a virus that messes the permissions.

dencer

Reputable
Sep 18, 2014

Oh my gosh! You saved me from paying an IT!!! Thanks a lot!!!

Androx06

Reputable
Sep 29, 2014

Can u please post the vídeo that u use to chante the permisión?

Reputable
Oct 17, 2014

DrifterOne

Reputable
Nov 10, 2014

i tried this method but did not work... i says format not complete or something like that what should i do now...

adi67ro

Reputable
Jan 30, 2015

This problem can be solve formatting a drive or device using Disk Management:
1: http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/107/kw/Formatting%20a%20drive%20or%20device%20using%20Disk%20Management

If not working use this solution to reclaim the full capacity of an SD Card:
2: http://www.howtogeek.com/170794/ask-htg-how-can-i-reclaim-the-full-capacity-of-an-sd-card/

For me working second solution. I read your post and I sheer this experience with you. Sorry for my English but I hope you understand me. Be sure remove write protected if have.

Arshad7786

Reputable
May 13, 2015
The Card is possibly corrupted. I contacted Sandisk Support, i was told the SD Card is bad and will be provided a replacement and return the damaged card to them.
They provide lifetime warranty

Jul 17, 2015
OH MY GOSH OH MY GOSH, nothing, spend hours. Finally!! Install ES Explorer, go to your extSD card, proceed to delete everything after you have copy your contents to PC. ES will prompt to go to "SHOW SD Card" then select your EXT SDCARD and proceed to deletes all files!!