[SOLVED] How to format and CLEAN install Windows 10

Learjet

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
Every time I attempt a format and clean install of Windows 10 I am finding desktop shortcuts that have remained from the previous Windows 10 on this SSD. I have used the Windows Recovery tool to reset this PC and delete everything yet these desktop shortcuts have persisted. I have also used the windows creation tool to boot from a thumb drive and using that tool I have formatted my drive and reinstalled. In both instances, I still have desktop shortcuts that remain which tell me not EVERYTHING is being deleted.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
In both (re)install instances you will be given an option to keep your personal files and folders, or not to. I suspect you are doing the first.

I would suggest using the USB key. When it loads up you have the "automatic" and the "advanced" options. Utilize that tool (pick where to install) to delete all the current partitions on the target drive and then hit install. It will recreate the proper partitions and do a for sure clean install.

Learjet

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
In both (re)install instances you will be given an option to keep your personal files and folders, or not to. I suspect you are doing the first.

I would suggest using the USB key. When it loads up you have the "automatic" and the "advanced" options. Utilize that tool (pick where to install) to delete all the current partitions on the target drive and then hit install. It will recreate the proper partitions and do a for sure clean install.

I have done this process three times. I delete all partitions until I just see my 2 SSD. I select my 512 for install. After install when windows boots I continue to see a shortcut for CoreTemp on my desktop. The shortcut obviously fails but how is this shortcut being kept from being erased on this format/reinstall process? I must be missing something

Learjet

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
Grasping for straws I would ask. Is the USB install the "go to Microsoft and download OS" one or the "create a recovery disk" from the computer one?

Beyond that you need The Mystery Machine gang to come find the ghosts....:)
I downloaded the windows installation media from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Could this possible be related to OneDrive? All programs are gone but a shortcut is not? I would assume the entire drive gets reset when you "format." Obviously something is missing with a shortcut left behind on the desktop but maybe its being imported right as windows boots up for the first time?

I think it is OneDrive! One of its features is to share your desktop between devices. These shortcuts are being imported from the cloud. I am going to format, reinstall, and disable OneDrive. I will report back

Learjet

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
we recommand unplug all other drive because sometime windows would put the boot partition on other drive.

what is on the other drive? did you change boot seq?

I have a 512GB drive for windows, and the other drive is a 1TB for data storage. Nothing is on the other drive. It doesn't appear that windows has attempted to put anything on the other drive through these multiple reinstalls that I have processed today. It appears OneDrive is what was adding things to my desktop as windows booted for the first time.

Thanks for your attention everyone. I appreciate the help!

Learjet

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007