[SOLVED] how to format and reuse old ssd

mcr1324

Honorable
Aug 15, 2017
Hey, I was thinking about buying a new ssd just to upgrade my other one..I'm wondering once I install the new ssd and get windows going all that on the new one, how do I keep using the existing ssd that I have in the system now? it's a little old and running slow, but I wanted to use it to run steam games and just some extra free space..I figured I obviously install the new ssd and install windows on it like norm, then I would plug in the second one and hit the disk management and then run a format? is it as simple as that? sry for a nub question, it's been a while since I build my system I'm feeling a tad rusty and just wanted to run it by u guys..ty for the help..

mcr1324

Honorable
Aug 15, 2017
Hey, I'm sorry to bother you I'm just wondering, is the best way to use the command prompt like you were saying or could I also just do it though the disk manager? is it basically the same thing if I just find the drive on disk manager and just do a normal format as doing it through the command prompt? ty..I never really use the command prompt for anything, it just seems more intimidating or something that's why I ask lol..

mcr1324

Honorable
Aug 15, 2017
Hey, I'm sorry to bother you I'm just wondering, is the best way to use the command prompt like you were saying or could I also just do it though the disk manager? is it basically the same thing if I just find the drive on disk manager and just do a normal format as doing it through the command prompt? ty..I never really use the command prompt for anything, it just seems more intimidating or something that's why I ask lol..
ahh I didn't realize but u might have answered it, so doing the regular way like I'm asking would still leave the boot and recovery partitions, but the way you recommended in the command prompt would delete everything I'm assuming..I'm just seeing those comments now, I missed it before I wrote the last message..so it seems I would need to rough it and use the command prompt then lol

Oasis Curator

Reputable
Apr 9, 2019
... so doing the regular way like I'm asking would still leave the boot and recovery partitions...
Yeah, I did it through Disk Management but it still left the Recovery Partition that couldn't be merged.
Went through the command prompt and it got rid of it, although I probably didn't need to format it as the data would have been lost when I merged the partition and the boot sections together.