Question how to format new Memory Stick Pro Duo card

turkeypets

Prominent
Sep 5, 2022
hi, I need to know the correct way to format a new Memory Stick Pro Duo card for a Sony Cyber-Shot camera. I called Sandisk they say to always format it in the computer.
I called Sony they said format in the camera only.
And lastly I called the manufacturer of the card Lexar and they said to format in the computer first then format in the camera second so that the devices are paired.
So which is the correct way?
I don't want to ruin a brand new card.

Also I read online when formatting a brand new card that i should do a full format and not a quick format.
Is that true?

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
And lastly I called the manufacturer of the card Lexar and they said to format in the computer first then format in the camera second so that the devices are paired.

I'd say this.

Btw, formatting won't kill the memory card.

i should do a full format and not a quick format

Both give more-or-less same end result. Diff is:

quick format - much faster and tells the memory card that all sectors can be wrote upon, without actually erasing the data (if there is any)
full format - slower and actually erases all the data, where the sectors would be empty

There could be small diff in terms of write speed, when used quick format, since memory card then needs to erase the data beforehand.

turkeypets

Prominent
Sep 5, 2022
Just do it in the camera.
Whatever you do before that would just be undone with whatever formatting the camera needs.
that's what i was thinking if i formatted in the computer then the camera the camera format would be a new format and erase the computer format.
I dont know how they could be paired but Aeacus thinks there is something to it.

turkeypets

Prominent
Sep 5, 2022
I'd say this.

Btw, formatting won't kill the memory card.

Both give more-or-less same end result. Diff is:

quick format - much faster and tells the memory card that all sectors can be wrote upon, without actually erasing the data (if there is any)
full format - slower and actually erases all the data, where the sectors would be empty

There could be small diff in terms of write speed, when used quick format, since memory card then needs to erase the data beforehand.
thank you. I know what quick format and regular formats do, my question is, which format should i do with a brand new card? I read online a complete format should be done with brand new cards and quick done when a complete format has already been done in the past.

turkeypets

Prominent
Sep 5, 2022
For any of my cameras, dashcams, or similar devices, I've never formatted the SD or microSD card in a PC first.
Just in the relevant device.
okay thank you very much.

This all comes to min dbecause i have a somewhat new Sandisk 8gb Memory Stick Pro Duo and i format in the camera them when i put it in the computer it says it needs to be formatted. Then i format in the computer and when i put it in the camera it says it need to be formatted. Its unusable i cant fix it i tried everything.

USAFRet

Titan
okay thank you very much.

This all comes to min dbecause i have a somewhat new Sandisk 8gb Memory Stick Pro Duo and i format in the camera them when i put it in the computer it says it needs to be formatted. Then i format in the computer and when i put it in the camera it says it need to be formatted. Its unusable i cant fix it i tried everything.
The computer and the camera have different formatting realms.

The camera has a function to connect via a cable and import the pics from camera to PC?

If so, leave the stick in the camera and import that way.

turkeypets

Prominent
Sep 5, 2022
The computer and the camera have different formatting realms.

The camera has a function to connect via a cable and import the pics from camera to PC?

If so, leave the stick in the camera and import that way.
its not the format its the card, after i format it now it keeps saying reinsert it.
Anyway, i just opened the new card formatted it on the camera and it works in the computer too. So i didn't need to format it in the computer first like Lexar's customer service rep told me to do.
Thanks for all your help i appreciate it!

I read online a complete format should be done with brand new cards and quick done when a complete format has already been done in the past.
That comes from a time where storage devices were sold raw and had terrible yields and a not insignificant amount of any storage would be liable to be faulty.
You had to do a full format for the OS to map out what parts it could actually use.

Now we have so many safeguards that it's completely useless to do it and a quick format is all you need.