Question How to get all of my installed RAM working?

Jan 4, 2020
I have 2 sticks of corsair vengeance 8gb ram. Bios is detecting both sticks but also says it is running in single channel memory mode. Windows also is detecting both sticks but only uses a max of 8gb. I have tried going in msconfig and unchecking the box for max ram and all that, and one time when I restarted it seemed to work and I was able to use all 16gb of ram. Now since I have shut down it goes back to the original problem, and my pc is only using 8gb again. Im not sure how I got it to work the first time, but I did so it isn't a faulty stick or bad motherboard. Does anyone have any suggestions??

The important parts:
  • AMD Ryzen 5 1600
  • ASRock AB350 Pro4
  • 2x - Corsair Vengeance 8gb (not sure the MHz and all that but I checked before to make sure both were the same in every way)

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Hardware specs?

Did you install a matched set of 8GB modules? A 2 x 8GB kit for dual memory use?

Especially the motherboard as that is the determining document with regards to supported RAM and module placement. And even the order of installation can be important.

And remember even if it did work (i.e., 16 GB) once keep in mind that one module may have failed.

Your parts specs: 2 sticks of corsair vengeance 8gb ram - same in every way

Corsair guarantees memory in the form sold. Exact match, same thing, identical have no guarantee to be compatible together.

Since you can make any kind of exotic combinations you want, you can do your own compatibility testing with no guarantees.

If you have a part number or link to the memory, it would be identifiable.

Ways to get those kind of combinations working are higher voltages, lower clock speeds and relaxed DRAM timings.

If you expect them to work because, "they are the same in every way", then you may want to rethink that.