[SOLVED] How to get best deal from Verizon?

justinbower

Prominent
Jan 23, 2019
I am an existing customer, 2 lines (1 Galaxy S6, 1 Iphone 6), on a 10gb plan that is enough for us. We pay about $115. We NEED to upgrade our phones (one is broken). Neither phone is worth anything for trade in.

However, when I talked to the generic chat at Verizon, the only "deal" they would offer me was $350 off the MSRP on an Iphone, IF I switched to an Unlimited plan that costs $60 more a month. Not a deal at all. $720 more per year is ludicrous.

They seem to have great deals if you're a new customer, but existing customer don't seem to have any options available? Anyone have suggestions on how to get them to make deals? Do they have a special customer retention contact? I'm not going to pay $60 a month more and a premium on new phones.

Solution
Ask for customer retentions and have an offer from TMobile or other major carrier on hand.

Better yet. Buy some nice used unlocked phones off eBay from a reputable seller. Shop around for a prepaid plan vs postpaid. Actually, fine the plan first then buy the phone. iPhones are universal now but Android phones have a lot of variants. So, you'll want to make sure the one you get supports T-Mobile, Verizion, AT&T, &c radio bands.

Let's say you want a Samsung Galaxy S10. There may be four variants like A1753, A1862, A1523, A1947. The A1753 may work great with Verizon. The A1523 may be designed for Asia. The A1947 may be for North American GSM networks. I'm just making up model numbers.

I pay about $90 for my three line T-Mobile...
Ask for customer retentions and have an offer from TMobile or other major carrier on hand.

Better yet. Buy some nice used unlocked phones off eBay from a reputable seller. Shop around for a prepaid plan vs postpaid. Actually, fine the plan first then buy the phone. iPhones are universal now but Android phones have a lot of variants. So, you'll want to make sure the one you get supports T-Mobile, Verizion, AT&T, &c radio bands.

Let's say you want a Samsung Galaxy S10. There may be four variants like A1753, A1862, A1523, A1947. The A1753 may work great with Verizon. The A1523 may be designed for Asia. The A1947 may be for North American GSM networks. I'm just making up model numbers.

I pay about $90 for my three line T-Mobile prepaid plan. An old one that's still good but not available for new customers anymore. I spent $225 to buy my like new Pixel 3 off eBay last month from a reliable reseller I've used a few times now.

Reactions: justinbower
Solution

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
are they the best in your area? perhaps a swap is in order to get that new customer deal. i use cricket which is at&t pre-paid company. we have 4 unlimted lines for $100 a month. got free phones when we swapped. not premium but nice moto g7 models for free.your gonna have to pay for iphones no matter how you do it. no one giving them away as they cost so dang much

catfishhoward

Honorable
Jun 13, 2017
Not sure about deals but you can always buy an unlocked phone from Best buy's that's usually what I do I own them and I can also go to other carriers.

Unless you have to have Verizon I would look into other carriers Verizon seems to be the higher-priced cell phone company in my opinion. That way you can also get a good deal with the new carrier. Sprint even though they might not exist anymore had really good hotspot plans but their service area isn't always great. If you can get AT&t looking at cricket wireless.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i always asked the teenagers i taught who was the best. they use their phones 24/7 all over and know who has the best coverage and where in a given city. :)

verizon is better than at&t in my area but where i spend my time, it is more than enough for my family plan. where verizon is better we don't go anyway. do look and see who has the best service for where you want to use it. then look at prices, verizon seems to be most expensive anywhere you go. t-mobile offers some good deals for new customers and usually with better phones than the pre-paid subcompanies

I am an existing customer, 2 lines (1 Galaxy S6, 1 Iphone 6), on a 10gb plan that is enough for us. We pay about $115. We NEED to upgrade our phones (one is broken). Neither phone is worth anything for trade in.

However, when I talked to the generic chat at Verizon, the only "deal" they would offer me was $350 off the MSRP on an Iphone, IF I switched to an Unlimited plan that costs $60 more a month. Not a deal at all. $720 more per year is ludicrous.

They seem to have great deals if you're a new customer, but existing customer don't seem to have any options available? Anyone have suggestions on how to get them to make deals? Do they have a special customer retention contact? I'm not going to pay $60 a month more and a premium on new phones.

Why not just buy a used Verizon phone or an unlocked new one? Or check out what is available for other deals online or re-sellers instead of their chat? Last time I had to replace my phone I got a Moto Z4 from BestBuy that was added to my Verizon plan and it cost me like $14 a month for 2 years, it's currently at $20 a month so that sale saved me quite a bit over 2 years. Go to the store, they will add the phone and swap you over right there, I was very happy with how the phone guy at BestBuy did the work. Make sure your files and contacts are backed up to the cloud or computer.

I would not switch from Verizon unless I lost my job or something and just could not pay for it, it is by far the best coverage and speed of any of the carriers no matter what the ads tell you. My phone works in places others don't, and I've never had someone not on Verizon work when mine did not, or have a better signal.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?cp=1&searchType=search&_dyncharset=UTF-8&ks=960&sc=Global&list=y&usc=All Categories&type=page&id=pcat17071&iht=n&seeAll=&browsedCategory=pcmcat211300050002&st=pcmcat211300050002_categoryid$pcmcat209400050001&qp=carrier_facet=Carrier~Verizon Wireless^carrier_facet=Carrier~Verizon^currentprice1_facet=Price~$10 - $14.99^currentprice1_facet=Price~$5 - $9.99

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?cp=1&searchType=search&_dyncharset=UTF-8&ks=960&sc=Global&list=y&usc=All Categories&type=page&id=pcat17071&iht=n&seeAll=&browsedCategory=pcmcat211300050002&st=pcmcat211300050002_categoryid$pcmcat209400050001&qp=carrier_facet=Carrier~Verizon Wireless^carrier_facet=Carrier~Verizon^currentprice1_facet=Price~$15 - $24.99