[SOLVED] How to get best speeds for 3 drive's on a Asus PRIME B350-PLUS

editor1

Honorable
May 9, 2017
Hi all
I have a 7+yr old NVidia 8gb graphics using pci and nothing ells. A Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor 3.20 GHz.
I plan on upgrading to a gen4 or gen5 wen prices go down.
I'm wanting to build a pc that can handle 3 vm's and idle host. So I want NVMe SSD(a running host and vm(1), NVMe SSD(b) running vm(2) and NVMe SSD(c) running vm(3).

What s the best way to get the most performance out of my Asus PRIME B350-PLUS for 3 NVMe SSD's. It only has one n.2. Will one samsung SSD 850 EVO Sata ssd be slower than some cheep adapter with NVMe SSD ?

PS. If I went with 3 good sata ssd's would they all be shearing the same bandwidth ? If so that defiantly will not work. So I will have to use NVMe SSD's.

Solution
Sweet. So 2 ssd SATA III will not share bandwidth ?
I defiantly will have host on a NVMe. I run 4 instances of a 12+yr old game on host I'm hoping there will be leftover resources to do video editing in back background.
I most likely will do 64gb of ram to meat my minimal needs for now. I forgot a few things that will pull more ram.
Multiple SATA III SSDs will be just fine.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi all
I have a 7+yr old NVidia 8gb graphics using pci and nothing ells. A Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor 3.20 GHz.
I plan on upgrading to a gen4 or gen5 wen prices go down.
I'm wanting to build a pc that can handle 3 vm's and idle host. So I want NVMe SSD(a running host and vm(1), NVMe SSD(b) running vm(2) and NVMe SSD(c) running vm(3).

What s the best way to get the most performance out of my Asus PRIME B350-PLUS for 3 NVMe SSD's. It only has one n.2. Will one samsung SSD 850 EVO Sata ssd be slower than some cheep adapter with NVMe SSD ?
Why do you believe that each VM neen an NVMe drive?
The hypervisor might benefit significantly with an NVMe for image storage. That could speed launching VMs.
The important thing for VMs is RAM. I would recommend you spend your budget on RAM over NVMe.

editor1

Honorable
May 9, 2017
1 NVMe (PCIe 3.0 x4), such as a Samsung 970 EVO.

The rest, SATA III SSDs.
You will never notice any difference.

How much RAM is in this system?
what are these VM's to be used for?
The vm's are just for gaming. The game I have tested has terabul loading but it might have to do with my slow ram. Wen I built the rig I lost track and ended up with the slowest ram that is made for stability testing rig. I plan on going 32 ram

USAFRet

Titan
The vm's are just for gaming. The game I have tested has terabul loading but it might have to do with my slow ram. Wen I built the rig I lost track and ended up with the slowest ram that is made for stability testing rig. I plan on going 32 ram
Don't even think about wasting time and money on NVMe and adapters for running games.

Even with natively installed drives, you can barely tell the difference between SATA III and NVMe for games.

editor1

Honorable
May 9, 2017
I defiantly will have host on a NVMe. I run 4 instances of a 12+yr old game on host I'm hoping there will be leftover resources to do video editing in back background.
I most likely will do 64gb of ram to meat my minimal needs for now. I forgot a few things that will pull more ram.

USAFRet

Titan
Multiple SATA III SSDs will be just fine.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Here is a compare of 2 of my SATA III drives.
1TB Crucial MX500 and 1TB Samsung 860 EVO.

vQP8kZo.jpg

You would see absolutely no difference in your games.