Question How to get better internet speeds?

D

Deleted member 362816

If you want faster WIFI speeds you would want a better router, that being said it can only be as fast as the service coming into your house.

Reactions: Fatblabs
D

Deleted member 362816

So I would have to upgrade my modem for faster incoming service

I mean not necessary. What service speeds do you currently pay for. Run a speed test and let me know what you see vs what you pay for. Example 150mbps connection equals to only 15mbs download.

D

Deleted member 362816

I can't even remember what I payed for lmao

What I am trying to say is until you know the speeds you pay for it's hard to say if you need to upgrade stuff to make it faster. Example if you pay for 150mpbs and you get 15mbs down you are getting what you pay for and do not need an upgrade.

D

Deleted member 362816

I have a Motorola Modem model #: SB6121 and google wifi wireless routers model #: AC 1304

Nothing is wrong with either of those. But there is no way to answer your questions without knowing the internet package you pay for and what your current speed test is.

DSzymborski

Titan
I just ran a speed test and I got 65.8 download and a hilarious 5.23 upload

Upload speeds are frequently much slower than download speeds. Heck, 50/5 was the standard at my local ISP in the early 2010s.

To get any kind of answer to your questions in this thread, you're going to have to do the footwork and find out what you're actually paying for from your ISP. Nobody here can read your mind or, even more crucially, read your contract with your ISP.

Fatblabs

Commendable
Jun 29, 2021
depending where you are, those are good speeds. You don't really need a massive upload speed unless you stream.

Need to know what plan you have before we know if there is any wiggle room. If you use wifi, it might depend on what WIFI card you have in the PC as well.
that's the thing, 1080p streams don't look too good on youtube. Not too bad, but lots of stutters.

You might have some other issue with your machine. 1080p takes only about 5-7mbps even at 60 frames on youtube. In addition youtube buffers the data so you should not see stutters.

Your internet connection is actually fast enough you could watch 4k video from youtube without a issue.

Upgrading your internet connection likely would not do much. Note if you are connecting to your router with wifi rather than ethernet that can cause issues. This tends to be because of interference from say your neighbors wifi and not something that is easily fixed.

Reactions: Fatblabs

Fatblabs

Commendable
Jun 29, 2021
You might have some other issue with your machine. 1080p takes only about 5-7mbps even at 60 frames on youtube. In addition youtube buffers the data so you should not see stutters.

Your internet connection is actually fast enough you could watch 4k video from youtube without a issue.

Upgrading your internet connection likely would not do much. Note if you are connecting to your router with wifi rather than ethernet that can cause issues. This tends to be because of interference from say your neighbors wifi and not something that is easily fixed.
well when I'm streaming not watching streams