[SOLVED] How to get consistent connection speeds. New equipment.

Jan 19, 2021
I'm having trouble understanding why my setup provides such inconsistencies. This is a home set up. I just ditched my isp provided modem/router and bought my own.
Modem: arris 32x8 surfboard SB6190
Router: asus rt ax3000
Wireless: phone note 8, iphone 8, new model hp laptop, new ipad, 3 amazon fire tablets, google home, 2 echo dots, 3 fire TVs, and a printer.
Wired: samsung TV, xbox 1, ooma phone.
ISP Optimum w/ 300 mb plan

So I'm getting 315-325 at the modem when I wire it direct to my home PC.
My xbox which is wired is only showing somewhere around 100 or less.
My note 8 will test at 300+ only if I freshly connect to the router. If I leave the area and return it only tests at like 40-50. But if I "forget network" then reconnect it will shoot back up to 300+.
I tested my wife's iphone and ipad side by side, her phone was getting 250+ and the iPad was only getting like 40-50.
The firmware is up to date on the router. I'm just trying to figure out why this is happening. Is there anything I can do in the router settings? The asus app is pretty extensive with router customization, but I don't know what half the stuff means. Lol. Why would my wired xbox be so slow as well??

Solution
You have to do some more consistent testing it sounds like you are trying to fix 2 different issues.

If the cable on the xbox is running at 100mbits rather than 1gbit it is almost a bad cable. It really doesn't matter if it worked fine before cables go bad simply because of very tiny movement of the wire inside the plug causes it to not make contact. Can be heat related as the metal expands and contracts or could be stress from being plugged and unplugged. This is made much worse if you are using fake ethernet cable like CCA or flat cables.

You need to check both cable it could also be the one between the router and the modem. The router should have lights that indicate the speed and/or there are status panels inside the...

popatim

Titan
The wireless connection type matters (B/G/N/A/AC) as well as which frequency (2.4gHz or 5gHz) and distance to the Wifi.
Generally the newer the connection the faster they are. What connections are supported by your devices remains to be determined.

wired xbox - sounds like it only has a 100mbs connection to the router. This could be cable or settings issues. You need a cat5 or 6 cable.

Jan 19, 2021
The wireless connection type matters (B/G/N/A/AC) as well as which frequency (2.4gHz or 5gHz) and distance to the Wifi.
Generally the newer the connection the faster they are. What connections are supported by your devices remains to be determined.

wired xbox - sounds like it only has a 100mbs connection to the router. This could be cable or settings issues. You need a cat5 or 6 cable.

the router is dual band. when i connect a device to it wirelessly, i don't choose which frequency to connect. I think the router is supposed to assign the best or combine frequency? not sure. I just checked my cable and i think I'm good on that front.
My modem is in my basement. a cat5e 25 ft cable runs to a wall adapter. from the adapter to the router is 7 ft of cat6. from the router to the Xbox is 4 ft of cat5e. Ive tested and gotten speeds of 160ish in the past with my old setup. so I think the cable is good.
how can I check the wireless connection type? is there a way to assign a specific type to maximize output?
Im not well versed in network connection so im my little brain is still trying to understand.... =\

You have to do some more consistent testing it sounds like you are trying to fix 2 different issues.

If the cable on the xbox is running at 100mbits rather than 1gbit it is almost a bad cable. It really doesn't matter if it worked fine before cables go bad simply because of very tiny movement of the wire inside the plug causes it to not make contact. Can be heat related as the metal expands and contracts or could be stress from being plugged and unplugged. This is made much worse if you are using fake ethernet cable like CCA or flat cables.

You need to check both cable it could also be the one between the router and the modem. The router should have lights that indicate the speed and/or there are status panels inside the router. It varies greatly depending on your equipment.

Your wifi problem is more how lazy do you want to be. Using the same SSID means the end device tries to pick the "best" connection. The key problem with this is the device does not understand that a stronger 2.4 signal level is still slower than a weaker 5 signal because the 5g band has more bandwidth. You the human are much smarter and can take in account many variables that make one signal "better" than the other. But some people are lazy, they just can not make the effort to click which radio signal to use when they move to a different room. Set your SSID to different values for the 2.4g and 5g radios so you can see if one works better than the other.

Solution
With Asus, you can disable the "SMART" wifi feature which will allow you to separate the SSID into 2.4ghz and 5ghz. On the drop down below the "smart" slider button, select 2.4ghz or 5ghz and you'll see the ssid name change. Configure your wifi from there.

You can also try Merlin firmware for your AX3000 router. I find it to be better than the factory firmware with better options.