[SOLVED] how to get data back from windows.old folder

Aug 23, 2019
I wanted to upgrade from windows 7 to 10 but i think i accidentally did a new install. Now all my files is in windows.old folder. During the installaton process i did got an error so i had to do it twice. Anyway now i dont have the go back to windows 7 option on the recovery tab of windows 10. Anyway to go back to windows 7 or transfer my installed programs from windows 7 to 10.
All i wanted to do was upgrade to windows 10 with all my data and programs intact. I dont wana manually install everything again bec it will just take too many days.

Bec i had attempted to install twice i have windows.old and windows.old000 folder. I deleted windows.old000 folder. Bec of which i think recovery option isnt available.

Can any1 help??

USAFRet

Titan
The oldest one, "windows.old000 " potentially held (some of) your original data.
The current Windows.old only holds stuff from the second 'install'.

After 2 full installs, the vast majority of your stuff is absolutely overwritten and gone.
Especially "applications". You cannot get those back.

Time for one actual clean install, and then installation of all your stuff.

Aug 23, 2019
The oldest one, "windows.old000 " potentially held (some of) your original data.
The current Windows.old only holds stuff from the second 'install'.

After 2 full installs, the vast majority of your stuff is absolutely overwritten and gone.
Especially "applications". You cannot get those back.

Time for one actual clean install, and then installation of all your stuff.

No i checked windows.old has my original data. I just need a way to get all my installed programs back

Aug 23, 2019
Unless you can use that windows.old to completely roll back, your installed programs is not going to happen.
I am asking is there a way to completely roll back using windows.old folder. Anway i can use registry to link to windows.old folder so that i can get option to go back to windows7 in recovery tab.

DSzymborski

Titan
Anyway i can migrate my browsing data saved logins passwords etc to this windows??

The practical route for any "migration" is already gone.

You're going to have to do this the hard way. I'd take the opportunity to do a full, complete wipe; if these are the same installs from your original Windows 7, your Windows folders, registry, etc. probably looked a bit like someone who hasn't showered in a year anyway.

And take the opportunity to organize your programs plan so that in the future, you can do a full wipe and reinstall without it being an excruciating task. Because sometimes, you do have to do this and you shouldn't have inadequate upkeep and organization being a roadblock when it needs to be done.

Aug 23, 2019
The practical route for any "migration" is already gone.

You're going to have to do this the hard way. I'd take the opportunity to do a full, complete wipe; if these are the same installs from your original Windows 7, your Windows folders, registry, etc. probably looked a bit like someone who hasn't showered in a year anyway.

And take the opportunity to organize your programs plan so that in the future, you can do a full wipe and reinstall without it being an excruciating task. Because sometimes, you do have to do this and you shouldn't have inadequate upkeep and organization being a roadblock when it needs to be done.
well wats hard way. Which folders do i need to copy??

DSzymborski

Titan
well wats hard way. Which folders do i need to copy??

Copy your data to somewhere else to back it up (which you already should have been doing anyway).

Do a proper, fresh install of Windows 10, wiping out everything that exists on the hard drive, and then reinstall your programs.

There's no rolling back at this point, no easy copying a few folders. At this point, it's like baking a cake and then deciding you want to have the eggs back. Those eggs are gone.

Aug 23, 2019
Have you tried using the recovery utility
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2733MIatOk
Yes this recovery option isnt available for me.
Copy your data to somewhere else to back it up (which you already should have been doing anyway).

Do a proper, fresh install of Windows 10, wiping out everything that exists on the hard drive, and then reinstall your programs.

There's no rolling back at this point, no easy copying a few folders. At this point, it's like baking a cake and then deciding you want to have the eggs back. Those eggs are gone.
well i dont remember my saved logins and passwords and bookmarks of lot of my websites. Is there anyway i can retrieve that from windows.old folder