[SOLVED] How to get data off a failing hard drive ?

calza

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2013
I have a 3 TB hard drive (almost full) that has just went gone from amber to red in Crystal Disk.

I've now got my replacement drive but copying over directly seems impossible. Firstly the speed drops very low (KB not MB) and then it often hangs on zero for 20 minutes as it gets stuck, before asking me if I want to skip.

This is making it impossible to get the data off. I accept I'll lose some stuff, and I don't mind running it for a good period of time - but is there a better way to deal with this?

I read about HDD Superclone but couldn't figure out how to use it..

Solution
What may help is to put the hard drive in the freezer before you get started. May or may not apply to contemporary drives though.

Seal the drive in a sealable plastic bag, put in the fridge if you want to play it safe. Freezer if you have tried everything else. You can also try keeping the drive as cool as possible during your copy/image attempt.

Logic is that the drive electronics may have a fault that causes errors when warm. A bad connection that the lower temperatures forces back into contact. An overheating component causing the problem (You can possibly check for this with a infrared thermometer). Or that the lubrication on the drive spindle or read write heads is bad and cooling it down may temporarily free up the movement...
In your situation I think it boils down to how important that data is for you, and how much worth (in money).

Before we go through options, bear in mind it could be rw heads that is faulty and in worst case doing nothing more than further destroying the platters as you attempt to recover data from it.

So that leave you with two options:
  • Use a recovery software yoourselv, maybe in combination with putting the drive in fridge before attempting data rescue. This may or may not work depending on the nature of the fault.
  • Use a professional data recovery company. It cost much more but is generally more safe.

I have a 3 TB hard drive (almost full) that has just went gone from amber to red in Crystal Disk.

I've now got my replacement drive but copying over directly seems impossible. Firstly the speed drops very low (KB not MB) and then it often hangs on zero for 20 minutes as it gets stuck, before asking me if I want to skip.

This is making it impossible to get the data off. I accept I'll lose some stuff, and I don't mind running it for a good period of time - but is there a better way to deal with this?

I read about HDD Superclone but couldn't figure out how to use it..
As said above but personally if the data is valuable and you have personal stuff that isn't backed up (which is why backing up to the cloud or external drives for things like photos is a good idea) then I would go to a data recovery company.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
What may help is to put the hard drive in the freezer before you get started. May or may not apply to contemporary drives though.

Seal the drive in a sealable plastic bag, put in the fridge if you want to play it safe. Freezer if you have tried everything else. You can also try keeping the drive as cool as possible during your copy/image attempt.

Logic is that the drive electronics may have a fault that causes errors when warm. A bad connection that the lower temperatures forces back into contact. An overheating component causing the problem (You can possibly check for this with a infrared thermometer). Or that the lubrication on the drive spindle or read write heads is bad and cooling it down may temporarily free up the movement.

If it isn't a read/write head problem, another option is to find an identical drive and swap components. Move your platters to a known good drive. (I believe you then have to use recovery software to see the contents) Again a last resort technique, since it also involves significant expense and a chance at destroying two drives.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
If it isn't a read/write head problem, another option is to find an identical drive and swap components. Move your platters to a known good drive. (I believe you then have to use recovery software to see the contents) Again a last resort technique, since it also involves significant expense and a chance at destroying two drives.
For someone who has never done this, that is almost a guarantee of destroying two drives.

USAFRet

Titan
Yep, last resort. Most people don't even have the correct tools to take a drive apart, or put it back together.
Not even a last resort.

Currently, 3 levels:
  1. Continue trying to do what they are doing, with consumer level software
  2. Send it off to a data recovery company
  3. Give it up and accept the loss

Of course, the 0 Level is "Recover from your daily/weekly backup routine."

D

Deleted member 2720853

Bring it to a company that specializes in data recovery. Yes it's expensive. Yes do it anyway. Treat it as an expensive lesson to have backups.

TRENDING THREADS