Question How to get display on my Intel DX79SI mobo?

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022
No matter what gpu I use, I wont get display. I tried an hd 6770, gt 440, gt210 and gtx 1650. I have no idea whats wrong with the motherboard. The cpu is getting warm, the ram works, the mobo turns on without beeps.
Specs: 4gb hyperx ram
I7-3280

Things that may be helpful: one time the cpu/socket smelled like chlorine, I dont have a cooler that fits on lga2011 so theres just a big high rpm fan untop of the cpu, I got the motherboard from marketplace, psu is working, gpus are working, cpu gets warm so I think its working, the number leds on the motherboard arent lighting up (idk if this is necessary), im not using a case so I use the power buttons on the motherboard.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
This requires a later BIOS than the other CPUs that are compatible with the motherboard. Do you know what BIOS the motherboard had? For all we know, this random decade old motherboard, bought from a marketplace and with an odd smell, simply doesn't work.

There seems to be a pattern of you buying all sorts of random decade-old parts and trying to mash them together. You're going to spend more in the long run doing this than just buying something new and working in the first place.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Do you have any fan connected to the CPU fan header? Just verifying, you don't have a heatsink/cooler attached to the CPU. Is that correct?

Also, what is the exact model of the memory you are using? These old components can be VERY picky in terms of supported memory.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
And I'm still utterly baffled by the description of the fan situation, so a much clearer explanation would be helpful. From the description, it sounds like you're just sitting a fan on top of it, which would display fundamental ignorance of what a CPU cooler does. So I hope that's not the case.

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022
This requires a later BIOS than the other CPUs that are compatible with the motherboard. Do you know what BIOS the motherboard had? For all we know, this random decade old motherboard, bought from a marketplace and with an odd smell, simply doesn't work.

There seems to be a pattern of you buying all sorts of random decade-old parts and trying to mash them together. You're going to spend more in the long run doing this than just buying something new and working in the first place.
I dont know what bios the mobo has. And I buy all this stuff because its a fun hobby and awesome to see how much more there is into pc building than just buying some newer parts and making 1 game pc. Sometimes I also clean the parts up and sell them to make a small profit.

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022
And I'm still utterly baffled by the description of the fan situation, so a much clearer explanation would be helpful. From the description, it sounds like you're just sitting a fan on top of it, which would display fundamental ignorance of what a CPU cooler does. So I hope that's not the case.
I know thats bad, but I just wanted to see if I could boot into the bios and then turn off the pc and install an actual cpu cooler with heatsink and with thermal paste. And if im right the mobo turns itself off when the cpu reaches a too high temp, which is not the case because I dont let it run for more than 20 sec.
I just buy pc parts, quickly test them and then install them properly. In this case, I didnt have an lga2011 cooler so I placed a very loud en speedy fan directly on top of the cpu without thermal paste.

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022
Do you have any fan connected to the CPU fan header? Just verifying, you don't have a heatsink/cooler attached to the CPU. Is that correct?

Also, what is the exact model of the memory you are using? These old components can be VERY picky in terms of supported memory.
Correct I do not (I know thats bad, but I dont run it for more than 20 sec). Its only a fan directly on top of the cpu without heatsink and without thermal paste. The fan is indeed connected to the cpu fan header.

Exact model: fury hyperx ddr3 ram
HX316C10FK2/8
9905402 - 656.AO1LF
0000006834116 - P003011
BFJFK - M9XPL0 - XV95A
CPMM08C1415

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I know thats bad, but I just wanted to see if I could boot into the bios and then turn off the pc and install an actual cpu cooler with heatsink and with thermal paste. And if im right the mobo turns itself off when the cpu reaches a too high temp, which is not the case because I dont let it run for more than 20 sec.
I just buy pc parts, quickly test them and then install them properly. In this case, I didnt have an lga2011 cooler so I placed a very loud en speedy fan directly on top of the cpu without thermal paste.
The CPU will heat up very quickly and may not start without a fan connected to the CPU fan header. This is a dangerous thing to do. You can permanently damage the CPU and motherboard VERY quickly.

Try resetting the BIOS, manually, if not already attempted.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Correct I do not (I know thats bad, but I dont run it for more than 20 sec). Its only a fan directly on top of the cpu without heatsink and without thermal paste. The fan is indeed connected to the cpu fan header.

Exact model: fury hyperx ddr3 ram
HX316C10FK2/8
9905402 - 656.AO1LF
0000006834116 - P003011
BFJFK - M9XPL0 - XV95A
CPMM08C1415

A PC fan blowing on the CPU directly is just about worthless. The heat sink is an integral part of the transfer of heat; this is like trying to use a water gun instead of a fire extinguisher.

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022
The CPU will heat up very quickly and may not start without a fan connected to the CPU fan header. This is a dangerous thing to do. You can permanently damage the CPU and motherboard VERY quickly.

Try resetting the BIOS, manually, if not already attempted.
The fan is connected to the cpu fan header. How do I manually reset the bios?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The fan is connected to the cpu fan header. How do I manually reset the bios?
First, disconnect all power sources (power cable, video cable, and powered speakers).
Next, press the power button to discharge any residual power in the system (yep, I mean it).
Then, open the case and locate the motherboard battery. Remove it, noting which side goes "up". Wait 1 minute and re-insert it.
Reverse the previous steps and try powering on.

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022
First, disconnect all power sources (power cable, video cable, and powered speakers).
Next, press the power button to discharge any residual power in the system (yep, I mean it).
Then, open the case and locate the motherboard battery. Remove it, noting which side goes "up". Wait 1 minute and re-insert it.
Reverse the previous steps and try powering on.
Im not home right now, but ill do it immediately when I come home. U mean the cmos battery right?