How to get highest quality connection to monitor for gaming?

Kings Gambit

Reputable
Sep 11, 2014
I will be picking up either an ASUS VG248QE or a BenQ XL2420TE (haven't made up my mind yet) monitor this weekend for my new build and am wondering which type of connection will allow for the highest quality - HDMI, DVI-D, DVI-I,etc.?

My graphics card is a EVGA GeForce GTX780 Classified.

Solution
Display Port and DVI are the ones to use, HDMI and VGA don't have the bandwidth to get 144hz out.

I'd go for display port, since with DVI you need a DUAL LINK DVI version, not the single link that is more popular. However, that monitor should come with dual link dvi so if that is so, then just use that.

and yes, VGA is for dinosaurs lol.

ABagOfFritos

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013
Pretty much the same across the board, my personal preference is DVI-D for primary gaming monitor, and HDMI for side displays if they have built-in speakers.

Keep in mind that DVI and HDMI are technically the same thing, HDMI simply has audio support.

VGA is for dinosaurs.

Display Port and DVI are the ones to use, HDMI and VGA don't have the bandwidth to get 144hz out.

I'd go for display port, since with DVI you need a DUAL LINK DVI version, not the single link that is more popular. However, that monitor should come with dual link dvi so if that is so, then just use that.

and yes, VGA is for dinosaurs lol.

Solution
HDMI, DVI-D, DVI-I all of them are digital signals and will look the same, the only difference is what max resolution they will do and hdmi carries audio as well where the dvi's don't.

Since your only running 1920x1080 any on of those will do just fine

Actually, DVI does support sound (used it myself) but hardly any graphics cards or monitors support it.