[SOLVED] How to get ip address assigned to access points when using my own cable modem?

whynotme

Reputable
Aug 20, 2019
Hi there, here's my current setup. I have an Xfinity modem/router and two hardwired ap's. Everything works fine until I swap out the xfinity gateway with my own Netgear CM1150V. My ap's or any other devices won't pull ip addresses from the Netgear cable modem, so I'm assuming that somehow the Xfinity modem/router is assigning ip addresses to the ap's and other devices. How would I go about getting the cable modem to assign ip addresses to the ap's so they can connect to the internet? Is this possible? I cannot enable DHCP server on the modem as far as I can tell. Thanks in advance!

Solution
Configure DHCP server (there should be only ONE) and leave a gap for statics, say 1-15, and assign DHCP range 16-254.

Go to each of your AP manually and give them statics, say 2,3. .1 is your Modem/router LAN NIC. Record these settings somewhere, spreadsheet etc so next time u need to re-configure, reminds you what's what. Better yet, draw yourself a diagram, via MS Visio or something.

whynotme

Reputable
Aug 20, 2019
Yes, I'm sorry, I should have said that a hardwire connection to the modem gets me access to net just fine on laptop. Activation with Xfinity was quick and easy.

whynotme

Reputable
Aug 20, 2019
Something has to be responsible for assigning the ap's local ip addresses, and it seems the Xfinity modem/router is able to act as DHCP server where the Netgear modem cannot.

Configure DHCP server (there should be only ONE) and leave a gap for statics, say 1-15, and assign DHCP range 16-254.

Go to each of your AP manually and give them statics, say 2,3. .1 is your Modem/router LAN NIC. Record these settings somewhere, spreadsheet etc so next time u need to re-configure, reminds you what's what. Better yet, draw yourself a diagram, via MS Visio or something.

Solution

rgd1101

Don't
Something has to be responsible for assigning the ap's local ip addresses, and it seems the Xfinity modem/router is able to act as DHCP server where the Netgear modem cannot.
If it work with your laptop then you are getting ip address

look like there are 2 port on the ap, did you try the other one?
since Ruckus don't let just any download their manual. you need to read the manual

TRENDING THREADS