Question How to get laptop graphics card to run compatible OpenCL or CUDA?

redss

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
I'm unable to run DaVinci Resolve video editing software because it can only operate in either OpenCL or CUDA, and apparently my laptop does not have either configured or installed.

My laptop is a Dell M3800 from 2014. When I run the GPU-Z utility from www.techpowerup.com/gpuz it displays TWO Graphics cards in the dropdown.
  1. Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 with Haswell GT2 GPU and OpenCL & DirectCompute 5.0 checked
  2. NVIDIA Quadro K1100M with GK107 GPU with openCL and CUDA checked

I'm confused on why my laptop has 2 graphics cards showing up. Can I switch?
Is there a configuration change or driver update needed to get this software working?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I'm surprised you are confused. All Intel mobile chips, and most desktop chips, have integrated graphics.

In addition you have a Discrete Nvidia GPU, so two GPUs. The Intel is used for low power things like your desktop or web browsing. The Nvidia card is going to be used in any case where higher performance is needed. It isn't terribly fast, but it is a professional grade graphics card.

If you haven't updated your Nvidia drivers in a while, give that a go.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
What version of Davinci Resolve are you trying to use?

As far as I can tell you simply need to select the card for CUDA rendering. I should warn you the K1100m isn't very large, so it may not add much to the experience. All the video encoding will still be done by the CPU.

redss

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
I'm trying to install the latest free version of DaVinci Resolve, version 16 beta.

I don't see anywhere in the settings to select a graphics card for CUDA rendering.

I don't understand why the GPU-Z utility detects an NVIDIA card, but I'm unable to configure it. when I click on the NVIDIA Control Panel, I get an alert that says "NVIDIA Display settings are not available - you are not currently using a display attached to an NVIDIA GPU"

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The card could be dead or disabled. Check your BIOS and System/Device Manager if it has been disabled for any reason. Or if there are any warnings on it.

Are you on the latest drivers for your OS? May be necessary to do a clean install using the downloaded from Nvidia media. Don't rely on Windows to fetch an acceptable version. Either use the ones provided by Nvidia, or Dell.

You may also need to set the performance plan in Windows, it may be disabling the card to save power. And you should be able to set graphics priority for applications individually. (Ignore the games part, it applies to any application)

TRENDING THREADS