how to get one 68 kb (u_init.c) file out of a corrupted rar archive

helpme888

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
I have recently winrar'ed my entire coding source files and then burned them to a dvd-rw thinking that now I can start the next phase of work with a backup of the previous working version's compiled and also source files. I changed some entries and compiled, and now the resulting exe file crashes on one character only (u_init.c is the starting eq and skill set for slashem characters). I have tried to undo as best as I can remember, but I changed a lot of the code, and it either crashes the exe or omits some of the eq that should be given to the character at startup.

So I pulled out my dvd and tried to open the rar and take out just that file, and it fails everytime to open the rar. I may (25 hours later) be able to get the corrupted rar file off the disk, but all I need is one 68 kb c file or even just a part of it to put it back to the working version.

How to I open the corrupted rar after (hopefully) I can get it off the disk?

btw it was set to store only (not compressed) in case that makes it easier

Solution
Not likely you'll have any success.

(also not sure why you think you'd have success after 25 hours if you can't access the content right now. Either the disc can't be accessed or the file itself is corrupted but either way I'm not sure why you have some reason to expect success at all if you simply wait..)

It's for reasons like this that Winrar has the "Recovery Record" option which I always use and set to 4%.

FYI, using a DVD-RW is not a good idea in general. Better to use a quality USB drive from Sandisk or similar.
Not likely you'll have any success.

(also not sure why you think you'd have success after 25 hours if you can't access the content right now. Either the disc can't be accessed or the file itself is corrupted but either way I'm not sure why you have some reason to expect success at all if you simply wait..)

It's for reasons like this that Winrar has the "Recovery Record" option which I always use and set to 4%.

FYI, using a DVD-RW is not a good idea in general. Better to use a quality USB drive from Sandisk or similar.

Solution

helpme888

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012

Yeah I am slightly forgetful in the fact that (although it used to work fine and nothing changed) my burner no longer accurately writes to RW's. I wrote to a RW because my flash drives are full of projects (music, collaboration, art, mapping) that I have been working on at whatever computer I have been around lately.

I have now firmly affixed a post-it note to my blank RW's do you remember the last time?

Nevertheless I have found older working copies of those files and also recoded and recovered a new working copy (by figuring out what programming errors I committed and rectifying them).

So that dead dvd RW might still work if I had a competent burner or software or whatever disallows RW burning for no reason, but only after I figure out how/why I can't burn RWs anymore.

Thanks for the help.