How to get Windows 8 onto an SSD from an HDD

Adrien Chaussabel

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013
Can I move Windows 8 from an HDD onto an SSD? I want to move it by itself, not everything else on the Hard Drive. If so how? Also, alternively, can I deactivate Windows 8 on my Hard Drive and then reinstall it onto my SDD and make the SSD the boot device (All of this being done with an OEM disk).

The only way to move it is to clone the drive, which means moving everything. It is not possible to use a cloning tool on a drive and only move the Windows install. Cloning programs work exclusively at the sector level rather than the file system level (at least, that's what you need to do in order for the clone to really work properly).

You can't deactivate your old copy of Windows either, like you would with a copy of an Adobe product such as Acrobat Pro. When they say in the license agreement that you must remove the old copy of Windows that is using your existing license key, they mean format the old drive.

Adrien Chaussabel

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013

What if my hard drive has more stuff than my SSD can hold?

PinchedNerve

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
Or delete enough stuff to allow the cloning. Sounds like you should just clean install the SSD & then use the HDD for storage & all your data is already there. Just delete the windows folder on the HDD, or even find where the data is on the HDD that you want to keep & delete everything else on it after you've clean installed the SSD

Adrien Chaussabel

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013

Would I need a new Windows 8 disk to clean install?