How to go about replacing a notebook motherboard ?

namanhd

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
My notebook has a dead motherboard (Acer4820tg, i7-620 2.66GHz, upto 3.33GHz with Turbo Boost, 1GB Redeon graphics) .... The company doesnt keep stock of the given motherboard . I need to know how does one go about deciding how to replace a motherboard for a (/any) notebook.

Cant seem to find any pointers anywhere after Googling for hours !!

Is it really that difficult finding a compatible motherboard ?

ps: By compatible I mean both with the body(/shell) of the notebook and the processor

maxinexus

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007

This should do the trick. Good luck!

http://blog.screenaid.com/2010/08/24/acer-aspire-4820tg-disassembly/

It is worth persuing it only if you can find a motherboard for less than $200.
http://www.laptopinventory.com/Laptop_Model.php/Acer/Aspire/4820TG

As you can see it is not worth doing it bc mb for your laptop is crazy expensive.
Try selling yours for parts and buy new laptop...maybe you can keep your graphics if it is stand alone not integrated.

You can also contact ACER tech support and they should know exact model of your board...

Found this for $160
http://www.serversupply.com/products/part_search/pid_lookup.asp?pid=169517&gclid=CPDLyPCU_LUCFYSK4Aodu0EAng
but you never know what you get or if it fits ... get the exact model first...
use that tutorial to disassemble laptop or contact acer support

Good luck

how do you know the motherboard is dead?

usually i try to find the exact same laptop on ebay where some one has smashed the screen and get it cheap

chances are the motherboard will still be ok

but you will need the disassembly guide to make it easier

and usually if its a model i am not familiar with i draw diagrams and label what screws come from where

and also photo it as i go along

its not a 2 minute job to replace the motherboard

and you have to make sure not to put a long screw where a short one goes or it can go through the motherboard

namanhd

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
Well How do I know that the motherboard is dead ? It was the computer repair guy (actually 2) that told me. The problem was that it was powering on and giving no display and then after a few days it was powering on for 3 seconds and then powering off.

So then the technician heated the motherboard at first. Didnt work. Then one other technicial tried to change the graphics chip as well after having tried the heating solution. It still didnt work. And thats how they concluded that the moterboard was faulty.

IMP - (Actually after I did get the notebook to work after it was kept for 10-15 days without trying . It worked for about 10-20 mins and then after that it came back to the old state as described above , i.e., powering off after about 3 secs on turning it on).

So now the situation is that I need a motherboard that is compatible with the dimensions of the notebook and i7 processor in it since the Acer support says they are out of stock.