Question How to hide unsupported resolution of your monitor in Win 10?

Swiftbasic1978

Prominent
Sep 18, 2021
Hello,

Why do I have resolutions higher than 2560x1440 available in display settings menu with an LG 32GP850 monitor and a GTX 980 (HDMI) card?
I presume that 2560x1440 is the highest (native) possible.
Is it possible to hide Unsupported resolutions? I cannot do it in display menu.

Ralston18

Titan
The supported resolutions are most likely from the motherboard and/or GPU.

If the monitor has its' own drivers then the supported resolutions might be presented as well.

Some software (apps, drivers, etc.) may also be designed for use at higher resolutions even if those resolutions are not directly available - placeholders for future use.

If you right click an empty area of the desktop are you able to access the Control Panel for your GTX980?

Does the Control Panel list the expected resolution ranges and only those ranges?

I would not tinker with trying to hide unsupported resolutions. Hopefully if an unsupported resolution is configured all that will happen is an error message or a pop-up window stating "not supported".

Likely good to know if there are future display problems or some configuration has otherwise gone astray.

I can run 4K on my 1080p monitors via downsampling, check if there are any custom resolutions in control panel.
And yes, it should be possible to change the offered resolutions in the registry, or rather force the system to not pull the available resolutions from the monitor.

TRENDING THREADS