[SOLVED] How to ID Missing Driver MSI Z170A Gaming M7

nazareneisrael

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Hi. I had a bad bug so I reformatted C:\ from the install USB.
I have an MSI Z170A Gaming M7 motherboard with Intel Core-i7 6700K, GTX 1660, and 32 GB RAM.
I installed Killer Ethernet drivers, then allowed Windows Update to install everything.
Then I installed the Chipset drivers, and the ASmedia_USB31_win7 drivers (which was probably unnecessary, but).
Then I installed Nvidia GeForce Experience, and let it update to the latest driver.
Zoom has a stuttering issue. This issue only appears in Zoom. I do not have video stuttering in any other program.
Upon troubleshooting, I notice a ! Yellow Exclamation Mark in Device Manager > Other Devices > Base System Devices.
>>> How can I find out which device this is, so I can upload the correct driver? <<<

I went to the Command Prompt, entered msdt.exe -id DeviceDiagnostic and ran the Hardware Diagnostic. It said that it installed an updated driver, and asked for a reboot.
I gave it the requested reboot, but the ! Yellow Exclamation Mark in Device Manager > Other Devices > Base System Devices is still there.
I can't seem to upload an image (don't know why), but here is a link to an image sharing site (if it helps).
https://ibb.co/bRHxLP0 Device Manager Error
How can I find out which device this is, so I can upload the correct driver?
Thank you.

Last edited:
Solution
Heh, I love it when companies get lazy. Many times they are correct, and the card might be natively supported, but doesn't mean that all of it is.

A good example is nvidia. (not saying they are lazy part). It's now natively supported by Windows 10 included whql drivers, that are updated frequently. And yet strangely enough ppl are still going to nvidia.com and nvidia.com even sends notice that there's an update. Why. It's natively supported and nvidia provides Microsoft with every update and Microsoft makes sure every windows user gets constant updates.

Meaning the cards are supported on a basic level, fully functional, but to get the most and best experience out of the card requires extra drivers, or data or tweaks etc.

I'd chase...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Click on that device, properties. Should have the option to update driver. It'll pull from the internet first.

Should also tell you what the driver is, and if lucky, what it's for.

Might also try start-right click, CMD with Admin, type sfc /scannow . That'll search for any windows system drivers.

popatim

Titan
You missed the realtek driver, the intel usb3 driver & the intel vga driver (not that you need this one) So the yellow could be any of the three. I would think MS would install their version at minimum.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refresh_rate

if you ever find your self with one you cant figure out, then you can rt click on the yellow item in device manager, select properties, navigate to the Details tab, select Hardware ID , and then google either one of the two lines there it typically clues you in. I suspect its the usb-c port on your 1660 if yours' has one; which isn't win7 compatible iirc.

nazareneisrael

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Karadjgne, thank you! I should have said, I already right-clicked and tried to update the driver. It said it could not find either the driver, or any information.

Thanks also for the tip on sfc/scannow. It said it resolved the problem, but I rebooted, and the ! Yellow Exclamation Point is still there.

nazareneisrael

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Popatim, that was very interesting, thank you!
I do not see a realtek driver or an intel usb3 driver on the downloads page. Am I not seeing something?
https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z170A-GAMING-M7#down-driver&Win10 64

Thanks also for the hint tip about device manager, properties, Details tab, Hardware ID , and then google. It gave four lines:
PCI\VEN_10B5&DEV_8609&SUBSYS_860910B5&REV_BA
PCI\VEN_10B5&DEV_8609&SUBSYS_860910B5
PCI\VEN_10B5&DEV_8609&CC_088000
PCI\VEN_10B5&DEV_8609&CC_0880

I googled the first one, and it says it is a PCI driver (which I also don't see on the downloads page). How can I find this driver, and find out what it is for?

For giggles I went into Device Manager and searched for Device Type, and it gave code 00000005. When I googled that it said it is a memory controller. Is that good info? And what do I do with it?

Last edited:

nazareneisrael

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Karadjgne, great question. I have a High Point RocketU 4-Port USB 3.0 PCI-Express 2.0 x4 HBA Controller RocketU 1144C, https://highpoint-tech.com/USA_new/series-ru1144d-download.htm .
Only, they no longer offer a driver, because they say it is "Natively supported by Windows 7.x, 8.x, 10 and Later "

I also have a Blackmagic Design DeckLink Mini Recorder 4K PCIe Capture Card, but the most recent driver is installed.

Other than that, nothing.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Heh, I love it when companies get lazy. Many times they are correct, and the card might be natively supported, but doesn't mean that all of it is.

A good example is nvidia. (not saying they are lazy part). It's now natively supported by Windows 10 included whql drivers, that are updated frequently. And yet strangely enough ppl are still going to nvidia.com and nvidia.com even sends notice that there's an update. Why. It's natively supported and nvidia provides Microsoft with every update and Microsoft makes sure every windows user gets constant updates.

Meaning the cards are supported on a basic level, fully functional, but to get the most and best experience out of the card requires extra drivers, or data or tweaks etc.

I'd chase those cards down, especially the first, try to find any and all links. I'm betting that to get maximum performance requires a driver the card is registering as missing, but doesn't affect native support or basic functionality.

Solution

nazareneisrael

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Hmmmm..... Curiouser and curiouser!!
Karadjgne, I pulled the High Point Rocket USB3 expansion card, and the ! Yellow Exclamation Point went away. (Good job!)
My original reason for wanting to track down this issue was that my video image on Zoom stutters. So now we will test in the next meeting (in a few hours).
You don't suppose an unused USB3 expansion card could affect Zoom in any way, do you?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No telling. Zoom has a USB interface in there somewhere I'm betting, since many audio devices both speaker and microphone can use USB connectivity, same with video inputs from a Webcam device. It might just have been a conflict with the usb trying to balance usage or trying to use that card as primary, might not. But at least now there's hope for a resolution.

nazareneisrael

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Very, very interesting! Without the USB card, I ran a two hour meeting today, and it did not stutter once! I will continue to monitor it, and if there continues to be no stuttering, I will tell Zoom.
Thank you.