How to increase RAM Frequency

TheMohammadmo

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2013
Hey Interwebz,
Here is the problem. I have 16gb of g skill ripjaws x ram ddr3 1866. When ever I open MSI Command Center, its says that the frequency is at 1333mhz. Here is a link to a picture ----->http://imgur.com/QViI5Kb
Please help

Solution
You can follow along in your motherboard manual, but here is what you do:

1) Boot up system and press the "delete" key repeatedly until the BIOS loads.
2) From the main BIOS menu click the "OC" button.
3) Scroll down to the "Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)" setting
4) Change the XMP setting to "Profile 1" (there may be multiple profiles, use the one that matches your RAM's stated frequency and timings)
5) Save settings and exit BIOS
6) Check frequency and timings using CPU-z or other software

I think that should be it, I don't have your specific BIOS, but got that from your manual.

larkspur

Distinguished
Go into the BIOS and enable the XMP profile that should appear for your RAM. By default, DDR3 operates at standard frequency. They make it easy these days - your RAM includes an XMP profile that tells the motherboard what settings to use to make it run at its rated frequency and timings. So enable the XMP profile, and your RAM should run at rated specs.

larkspur

Distinguished
You can follow along in your motherboard manual, but here is what you do:

1) Boot up system and press the "delete" key repeatedly until the BIOS loads.
2) From the main BIOS menu click the "OC" button.
3) Scroll down to the "Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)" setting
4) Change the XMP setting to "Profile 1" (there may be multiple profiles, use the one that matches your RAM's stated frequency and timings)
5) Save settings and exit BIOS
6) Check frequency and timings using CPU-z or other software

I think that should be it, I don't have your specific BIOS, but got that from your manual.

Solution