how to install a 2nd HDD on windows 8.1?

wardy94

Honorable
Sep 28, 2013
HI

im having some trouble getting my HDD recognized. I've recently built my first pc. It went really smooth but I didn't have a third sata cable so I just used my SSD, installed windows 8.1 on it and left my HDD until I got a cable. Now I'm not sure how to install it because the windows installation did it for me the first time. Anyone got any suggestions? its a seagate barracuda 1TB by the way

thanks

Solution
1. Make sure your SSD is on lowest numbered SATA port.
2. Install the HD in tray, connect SATA and power cables....SATA cable goes to 2nd lowest numbered SATA port
3. Boot to BIOS, make sure HD is recognized.
4. Exit and proceed to windows if there, if not go back to step 2
5. Right Click non My Computer
6. Select manage / Disk management
7. Right-click the unallocated region on the new hard disk, and then click New Simple Volume.
8. Type the size of the volume you want to create in megabytes (MB) or accept the maximum default size
9. Accept the default drive letter or choose a different drive letter to identify the partition
10. Format the volume with the default settings or choose what you prefer. review everything and...
1. Make sure your SSD is on lowest numbered SATA port.
2. Install the HD in tray, connect SATA and power cables....SATA cable goes to 2nd lowest numbered SATA port
3. Boot to BIOS, make sure HD is recognized.
4. Exit and proceed to windows if there, if not go back to step 2
5. Right Click non My Computer
6. Select manage / Disk management
7. Right-click the unallocated region on the new hard disk, and then click New Simple Volume.
8. Type the size of the volume you want to create in megabytes (MB) or accept the maximum default size
9. Accept the default drive letter or choose a different drive letter to identify the partition
10. Format the volume with the default settings or choose what you prefer. review everything and Finish

PSU ---> SATA Power Cable-----> HD Power Connector
MoBo Lowest Numbered Power ----> SATA Data Cable ---- > SSD SATA Port
MoBo 2nd Lowest Numbered Power ----> SATA Data Cable ---- > HD SATA Port
MoBo 3rd Lowest Numbered Power ----> SATA Data Cable ---- > DVD SATA Port

Solution

wardy94

Honorable
Sep 28, 2013
thanks a lot for the answers it worked making a simple volume on the HDD. Just one other quick question. Is there a certain way of making it so all the program files and docs, music folder, etc. are on my second hard drive or do I literally just make new folders on the new drive?

Also i think i have all the drives in the right ports but does it make a huge difference?

I never use such things.

Just make what folders you want to use.... not what MS thinks you shud use..

Be careful.... every program will want to install to CL:programFiles..... you must be aware and send stuff where you want it to go. I prefer making separate partitions for games, programs, data and backups.

wardy94

Honorable
Sep 28, 2013
yeah I was more fussed about the program files. i guess when I install a new game or something I will direct it to my E: drive. Whats the benefit of having different partitions instead of the one?

You have a sock drawer, an underwear drawer, shirts drawer.... or you just throw everything in one big drawer ? :)

Another reason HDs are faster at the outer edge ... twice as fast or more than the inner edge.... so partitioning allows you to put stuff that needs to go fast at the outer edge and stuff that you don't care how long it takes (i.e. backups at the inner edge)

wardy94

Honorable
Sep 28, 2013
Ha a good comparison. Yeah I guess i can put games and stuff on the outer edge and use the inner sections for the less important crap.

Thanks alot for the replys. Very helpful