How to install an SSD without having to back up or format HDD?

DIE4DETHKLOK

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
Hi

I just purchased a Samsung 850 EVO (250G), for my desktop. I have Windows 8.1 installed on my 1TB WD HDD, along with all my programs and games and what not. I've done a lot of research on installing one, but im just not positive on exactly what i need to do. I see a lot of people recommending a fresh install of Windows 8.1, so that's what I was going to do. But I don't want to have to wipe my hard drive and I don't have a way to back everything up. I also read that it isn't good to have the OS installed on both drives. Do i just install Windows to the SSD and move what data i want, from the hard drive to the SSD? If I delete Windows from the hard drive will it delete everything I have on the hard drive? The SSD also comes with data migration software, but i don't want to put everything on the SSD, just the operating system, apps and programs, and games that i play frequently; and put all my media, programs and games that I don't use as frequently on my hard drive. Sorry for so much text, but i just can't find the exact answer to my questions. Thank you in advance!

Solution
OK
You have a new 250GB SSD. That means you should not go over ~200GB used space on that. And in fact, the Samsung migration tool will not do it if over ~200GB.
You have "about 200GB" used space.

2 options. Migration, or clean install

Migration requires you to delete/uninstall/move elsewhere some stuff, to get the whole deal well under 200GB.

Clean install....is a clean install. Including all your applications.

DIE4DETHKLOK

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
About 200G. So if don't want to put EVERYTHING on the SSD, would i have to just start completely over with a fresh install of Windows? And does that require completely wiping the hard drive?

USAFRet

Titan

There are different categories of 'everything'.

Some migration applications allow you to exclude the Libraries (Doc/Music/Video/etc)
But you can't pick and choose which 'programs'.

Personally, I always recommend a clean install on a new SSD, just to be sure.

DIE4DETHKLOK

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014

So I need to install windows to the SSD and re-download all my programs to the SSD? And will i need to delete windows from the hard drive, since im going to boot from the SSD? Will that erase everything?

USAFRet

Titan
OK
You have a new 250GB SSD. That means you should not go over ~200GB used space on that. And in fact, the Samsung migration tool will not do it if over ~200GB.
You have "about 200GB" used space.

2 options. Migration, or clean install

Migration requires you to delete/uninstall/move elsewhere some stuff, to get the whole deal well under 200GB.

Clean install....is a clean install. Including all your applications.

Solution

DIE4DETHKLOK

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014

Ah, I see. Thanks so much for your help, I'm going to take your advice and do a fresh install just to be safe.

USAFRet

Titan

When you do that, have only the SSD connected.
Weirdness ensues if you have more than one drive connected. Very weird if that other drive has an OS/boot partition on it already.

TRENDING THREADS