Question How to install gpu in dell optiplex 3060?

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022
I have the dell optiplex 3060 micro and I desperately want better graphics. Idc about it not fitting in the case but if there is a way to install a gpu that would be awesome. Ive read posts about it not being possible and that these gpus: 2 GB AMD Radeon R5 430
4 GB AMD Radeon RX 550
2 GB NVIDIA GT 730 are compatible with the optiplex 3070. But are there more (cheaper) options and how can I install it if possible.

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on the model. Some of the Optiplex 3060/3070 are too small for a GPU. Many require half height GPUs as they are small form factor PCs. Only the full Micro ATX versions have room for full size cards.

These systems also have limited power supplies, and on occasion, limited power to the PCIe slots. So anything that requires external PCIe power connectors is usually ruled out.

There are always cheaper options, but you would be looking at used GPUs at least ten years old that aren't worth the cost of shipping. GT730 is 8 years old. RX550 is significantly newer at only 5 years old, much faster. Both are low power options and may be available in half height cards you might need.

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022
What size case do you have?.......tower/sff/micro.
What gpu is in the machine now?
Depends on the model. Some of the Optiplex 3060/3070 are too small for a GPU. Many require half height GPUs as they are small form factor PCs. Only the full Micro ATX versions have room for full size cards.

These systems also have limited power supplies, and on occasion, limited power to the PCIe slots. So anything that requires external PCIe power connectors is usually ruled out.

There are always cheaper options, but you would be looking at used GPUs at least ten years old that aren't worth the cost of shipping. GT730 is 8 years old. RX550 is significantly newer at only 5 years old, much faster. Both are low power options and may be available in half height cards you might need.
I have a 3060 sff. Is there still a way to install a gpu? It doesnt need to be in the case but I just want better graphics thats all. Im using the integrated graphics at the moment.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
I have the dell optiplex 3060 sff and I desperately want better graphics. Idc about it not fitting in the case but if there is a way to install a gpu that would be awesome. Ive read posts about it not being possible and that these gpus: 2 GB AMD Radeon R5 430
4 GB AMD Radeon RX 550
2 GB NVIDIA GT 730 are compatible with the optiplex 3070. But are there more (cheaper) options and how can I install it if possible.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUoD381UKD0

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022

I have the 3060 micro

bignastyid

Titan
I have the dell optiplex 3060 micro and I desperately want better graphics. Idc about it not fitting in the case but if there is a way to install a gpu that would be awesome. Ive read posts about it not being possible and that these gpus: 2 GB AMD Radeon R5 430
4 GB AMD Radeon RX 550
The answer is you don't. The 3060 micro doesn't have a slot for a gpu.

Reactions: Corwin65