Question How to Install new windows 10 to M.2

Oct 28, 2022
So basically I wiped my PC and Installed new M.2 SSD, but my OS is still installed in my sata SSD, how do I remove or move my OS from sata SSD onto my M.2 Drive? I already have my USB flash drive with OS installer Just in case 🙏🙇‍♀️

USAFRet

Titan
So basically I wiped my PC and Installed new M.2 SSD, but my OS is still installed in my sata SSD, how do I remove or move my OS from sata SSD onto my M.2 Drive? I already have my USB flash drive with OS installer Just in case 🙏🙇‍♀️
Details of all the parts involved here.

2 options...
1. Clone from the old drive to the new.

2. A fresh OS install of the OS and everything else, on the new drive.

But, we need full details.
What drives, how much data is on the current drive, etc, etc.

What exactly did you wipe?

You don't need to wipe anything.

If you want to clean install Windows, disconnect all drives EXCEPT the one you want to put Windows on.

Boot from that installer you made.

After the installation, you can reconnect the old drive and do what you want with it.

Oct 28, 2022
Details of all the parts involved here.

2 options...
1. Clone from the old drive to the new.

2. A fresh OS install of the OS and everything else, on the new drive.

But, we need full details.
What drives, how much data is on the current drive, etc, etc.
Currently I have 4 drives
-1 TB HDD [Empty]
-2 TB HDD [Empty]
-250gb sata SSD (OS Currently Installed on)
-257gb M.2 [Empty] (But I want my OS to be in this drive)

What is the "Easy" or "Convenient" way to transfer it to my M.2? Should I remove windows completely and use my USB with Windows installer in it? Or Should I use a 3rd party app to move or "Migrate" it?

You have to decide if you want to do a clean install of Windows..........if you choose this, you will have to reinstall all programs.

Or........

"Transfer everything" from the 250 SATA to the 257 M.2

Pick one.

Which?

If you want to transfer, you would clone. You would not use your installer.

If you want to clean install, you would use your installer you made.

Oct 28, 2022
You have to decide if you want to do a clean install of Windows..........if you choose this, you will have to reinstall all programs.

Or........

"Transfer everything" from the 250 SATA to the 257 M.2

Pick one.

Which?

If you want to transfer, you would clone. You would not use your installer.

If you want to clean install, you would use your installer you made.
By Clone you mean using a 3rd party app?

By Clone you mean using a 3rd party app?
Yes. The destination drive becomes a replica of the source drive. With programs working just like before. Would include all of your personal data....pictures, video clips, etc. Whatever is on the source drive.

Typically Macrium Reflect Free Edition.

It can clone or it can use an "imaging" process.

Either will do what you want. Either can fail. Try one method. If it fails, try the other.

Or do a clean install.

Probably wouldn't take over an hour if you had prior experience with it.

There is a learning curve. Not outrageous. Take your time.

257 GB drive is an unusual size. Are you sure that is correct??

USAFRet

Titan
Currently I have 4 drives
-1 TB HDD [Empty]
-2 TB HDD [Empty]
-250gb sata SSD (OS Currently Installed on)
-257gb M.2 [Empty] (But I want my OS to be in this drive)

What is the "Easy" or "Convenient" way to transfer it to my M.2? Should I remove windows completely and use my USB with Windows installer in it? Or Should I use a 3rd party app to move or "Migrate" it?
Please post a screencap of your current Disk Management window.
(upload to imgur.com, post the link here)

DSzymborski

Titan

A bit confused by this description; did you wipe the PC or didn't you? You wouldn't have anything on your OS drive if that's what you did.

If that's not what you mean, you'd need to clone the old drive to the new drive, assuming the new one isn't smarter than the old one (you didn't supply any details). That's frequently not worth the hassle and there are good reasons to do a fresh Windows install every once in a while anyway.