Question How to install OS on found iMac

Sep 25, 2023
So I found a perfectly good working iMac at the dump. My guess is that it is a 2008 model or so. Booted right up and I was in the computer messing around. Had to run some errands and when I came back it now asks for a password to get into it. Not sure why I was originally allowed access but whatever. I know Apple's security is legendary and figured I would need to wipe the drive and re-install the OS anyways. So I wiped the drive and I am trying to install El Capitan OS which is what was on it. But I cant do it with it burnt on a DVD. When I try to do it via the internet it says something like "file is currently unavailable". Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sep 25, 2023
After researching on this site it seems the only way is to make a Bootable OS USB thumbstick. I don't have another Mac to create it though. Wonder if it is possible to create one with Windows. If not, it's on to eBay I guess.

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
So I found a perfectly good working iMac at the dump. My guess is that it is a 2008 model or so. Booted right up and I was in the computer messing around. Had to run some errands and when I came back it now asks for a password to get into it. Not sure why I was originally allowed access but whatever. I know Apple's security is legendary and figured I would need to wipe the drive and re-install the OS anyways. So I wiped the drive and I am trying to install El Capitan OS which is what was on it. But I cant do it with it burnt on a DVD. When I try to do it via the internet it says something like "file is currently unavailable". Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Did you use the Command-R combination to get where you could reinstall macOS?

If so, you should try doing the same with Command-Option-R or Shift-Command-Option-R instead. I literally ran into the same issue on an older MacBook Air and adding Option (or Shift on a regular keyboard) resolved it immediately.

It might also be worth checking out this software if the above doesn’t work for you… https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433?locale=en_US