News How to Install Ubuntu on Your Raspberry Pi

FastAddons

Reputable
Jan 3, 2020
Could you run htop to see how much memory is left?
I'm considering using this with my 2GB version if it won't take half of the memory.
EDIT:
From what I can see in here, installing the Mate desktop on Ubuntu x64 will take about 900MB.
That's a lot! My 32 bit Raspbian takes less than 400MB.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2020
After installing Ubuntu-desktop using these steps, my pi boots to a black screen which allows no further progress.

Stygian-Agenda

Honorable
Jun 11, 2014
As a much lighter-weight alternative, try https://ubuntu-mate.org/ for RPi2/3 --it uses a lot less resources to run, yet comes packed with the Mate-Desktop (pronouced MAH-tay), which was branched from Gnome 2.32 to become it's own desktop, several years ago now. It's personally my favorite distro, which I run on x86/x64 and ARM32/ARM64, and I have it installed and running on 3 embedded system and 6 VMs.

The procedure to install it is more in line with community standards, rather than using an all-in-one imager/eraser tool, but the results tend to be better because the partitioning is direct to the SD card rather than within an encapsulated FAT-based file system-object-file. The results are a fast clean OS with a ton of capability.

TRENDING THREADS