How to install WIN 7 SP1 w/USB3.0 and NMVE drivers?

Lutfij

Titan
Are you trying to install Windows 7 on a current gen platform/system? If so your motherboard's manufacturer site should have a utility to deal with a bootable installer disc with the necessary drivers. ASRock and Gigabyte have one. It'd help us if we knew what board you're dealing with. Better yet, list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

finalygotit

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
I recently bought a new computer :
Mobo : ASU prime pro x370 - not that this matters but it means no USB 2.0
CPU : rizen
SSD : on PCIe ( NVMe)
and found out that it's not possible to install WIN 7 64 SP1 on my brand new rig ( not on the SSD anyway AND the USB 3.0 )

After 3 (fdull) day of research and many many trials in making my own customized WIN 7 64 boot disk that didn't ( for about a thousand different reasons each time ) NTLite, Rufus , with or without KB' with auto-unattend , etc...

i stumbled upon a forum where someone suggested to use the Gigabyte soft even for an Asus mobo.

What caught my eye was that it semend to take care of both issues ( USB and NVMe).

AND IT DID

So , if you don't want to spend half your holliday on finding a solution to a problem you just discovered here's the trick :

First of all you need the WindowsImageTools - it's called the Windows USB installation tool on Gigabyte's site ( in Utilities )

(By the way i'd like to thank the Gigabyte team for having made this available to everyone . my next board wil probably wear their brand, seing the quality of their customer service.)

Download it ,extract it but don't lanch it yet

Follow this procedure and hopefully you'll be as lucky as i.

1 - Install your original WIN 7installation DVD in your ODD

2 - Install the USB drive

3- open the Windows Image Tool

SElect source : ODD

SElect target : USB drive

check add USB drivers

check add NVMe drivers

Click start and wait ( this can last a while depending on your system ) for the program to create the ISO .

4- install the USB drive in your new computer

5- Launch Windows install

If all goes well WIndows should install as with the original CD ( only much much quieter and a lot faster )

BUT, you could end up with the message " setup was unable to create a new system.... saying that the disk can not be used"

Now,some say you can trick Windows by removing the USB drive and re-insert it following a certain protocol
( there are tutorials about the procedure to follow)
but this didn' work for me.

Another option is to manualy create the boot partition by doing the following:

( shift + F10 ) "~ means Enter"

diskpart.exe ~

list disk ~

select disk= 0 or 1 or ... ~ --- the one you need from the list---

create partition primary size= ... ~ - choose the size of your 1st partition ( xxx )

select partition=1 ~

active ~

At this point i got a message saying someting like " disk could not be made active because it's MBR"
(i suppose WindowsImageTools uses MBR ).

So, after trying for 3 days to find a way to install WIN7 64 on a new computer and being absolutely determined not to use WIN 10 i completely lost it

and just before trashing my brand new pc i just pressed the delete all the partitions button with all the frustration i accumulated over the last 3 days...

And guess what ... it worked , i recreate a new partition , installed WIN7 and everything seems to work fine.

Hope this helps someone.