[SOLVED] How to install windows 10 on new SSD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

I Josh I

Prominent
Feb 12, 2019
Hi all!

So for all of the systems I have had I have always used an HDD drive but I want to upgrade to an SSD, but I haven't done anything like this before . So I was planning to keep my HDD drive as a secondary drive to store pictures, videos, and other files on it and have the SSD as the boot drive and so forth. So from what I have gathered online this is what I should do; I would first put windows 10 on a USB stick using the mediacreationtool from Microsoft. Than I would shutdown my PC. After it is powered off I would than unplug my HDD and plug in my new SSD. After the SSD is plugged in I would than plug in the flash drive to the computer and turn on the PC, following the instructions. So than after I have loaded up windows, to the extent where I have access to the desktop, I would than turn off my PC once again, plugging in my old HDD, turning on my PC, than instead of loading up the desktop I would go into the BIOS find and select the option to boot from the SSD. After that, continue to the desktop, open up the HDD and delete the old os from the HDD.

Don't know if that is the correct way of doing it. Also this was the SSD I was going to get https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIADGE8TY8331&ignorebbr=1 and just to make sure is this compatible with my mobo/system?

My system:
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700 @ 3.20GHz
RAM: 16.0GB Dual-channel https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232242
MOBO: Gigabyte B360 Arous gaming 3 https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813145061
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
CPU Cooler: CORSAIR HYDRO SERIES H75 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler

Also, I have a vertical drive bay at the bottom of my computer, which can hold three drives. Should I get one of these https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817997037&ignorebbr=1 so the SSD can fit in the bay? here is my case and some images of the bay https://www.evetech.co.za/PC-Hardware/thermaltake-core-x31-rgb-edition-gaming-pc-case-2027.aspx

Any suggestions, tips, and information would be great!

Thanks.

Solution
Personally, I would add a step 0 to the equation.

Step 0: Download drivers for your motherboard (chipset, USB etc) and GPU. Place them on an external drive for use later.
Step 1: Good idea.
Step 2: Correct. Note you may have to disable anti-virus software to fully complete the creation. Shouldn't be necessary, but I have seen it happen once or twice.
Step 3: The tool will not shut down your system, you will have to perform that action.
Step 4: Flip the power switch on the PSU and drain any residual power (hold down the case power button for a couple of seconds) to be 100% safe. Hard to damage anything, but better safe....

Response: I wouldn't change the boot order, but there is a one-time "boot override" functionality in...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Correct.

Hmm, a 3 years, it's probably getting fairly long in the tooth. The 500 W1 only comes with a 3 year warranty for a reason - they're built down to a pricepoint.
As I mentioned, not going to suddenly burst into flames or anything, so you have time.
As for what you'd experience, a failing PSU can have all sorts of symptoms. Random shutdowns would be a good indicator though.

The G3 550W is a quality unit, but I don't think a $130 purchase makes sense (before rebates).
If you wanted to buy something right now, the CX450M would be what I would look to. If your current PSU holds up a while, you can keep an eye out for sales on G3's, Focus Plus from SeaSonic, even odler EVGA G2's if you happen to see one.

I Josh I

Prominent
Feb 12, 2019
Yeah, I have not had anything weird, like random shutdowns at all. I mean if a power-supply is what I need pretty soon, I would rather reach down and shell out $130.00 for a good quality power supply. So a PSU such as this one https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438095&ignorebbr=1 would last for how long (roughly)? Do you think that my current power supply could hold out till say like next week or so? This week I am definitely ordering the SSD, but I think if it is ok, I will order a psu next week.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
A G3 should last you 10 years without much issue.
A 550W unit would allow for stronger GPU upgrades over time - I'd be comfortable with a 550W G3 up to (and including) a 2080TI currently. Unless you have any plans for such a beefy upgrade though, the CX450M would be fine.

Absolutely, that unit should last a week - it's lasted this long!
Like I said, it's not going to blow up or start a fire or anything, so it's not urgent-urgent. Wouldn't be any harm in waiting for a sale....

I Josh I

Prominent
Feb 12, 2019
A G3 should last you 10 years without much issue.
A 550W unit would allow for stronger GPU upgrades over time - I'd be comfortable with a 550W G3 up to (and including) a 2080TI currently. Unless you have any plans for such a beefy upgrade though, the CX450M would be fine.

Absolutely, that unit should last a week - it's lasted this long!
Like I said, it's not going to blow up or start a fire or anything, so it's not urgent-urgent. Wouldn't be any harm in waiting for a sale....

I mean I will most likely be upgrading my desktop in the future, so it would make more sense, at least to me, to get the 550W G3. And yeah, I mean I could probably wait a few weeks to see if it goes on sale. Always nice to get computer parts on sale. Sometime in the near future when I order a new PSU maybe I could give you a message, and you could give me some tip/directions for re-installing a psu. Because that too is something I have never done before. :)

Anyways, I ordered my SSD, hopefully it will be here by next week sometime. If your interested I can shoot you a message to tell you how it went. I really appreciate the time you have used up to help me install an SSD. I used to take my PC down to the local computer shop and get them to install stuff but recently I have done the last few upgrades, and am trying to get a better feel of doing stuff with my desktop. All the information and instructions you have given makes me feel confident in installing the SSD. I bet it will be a breeze. :)

Also, for "How to" forum postings, I don't know how to close them. I can't seem to find any button that says "Mark as solution", or similar.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Yeah, absolutely. Or feel free to make a thread & tag me in it (or send a PM to direct me here) - keeping the advise in the general view can help others too.

Glad you got the SSD ordered. It's not too complicated, but can seem daunting the first time, I get that.
As for learning to do it yourself... As with anything, the payoff is long term. I don't know what your local shop charges for their time, but given travel to/from, downtime while you wait etc - It'll certainly be cheaper in the long-run, and you get comfortable doing it!
Shoot me a PM, let me know how it goes. &/or post back here for all to see.

As for marking solved, if you wish to select one - top left of a given post there's a little trophy icon. Selecting that selects a best answer.

I Josh I

Prominent
Feb 12, 2019
Yeah, absolutely. Or feel free to make a thread & tag me in it (or send a PM to direct me here) - keeping the advise in the general view can help others too.

Glad you got the SSD ordered. It's not too complicated, but can seem daunting the first time, I get that.
As for learning to do it yourself... As with anything, the payoff is long term. I don't know what your local shop charges for their time, but given travel to/from, downtime while you wait etc - It'll certainly be cheaper in the long-run, and you get comfortable doing it!
Shoot me a PM, let me know how it goes. &/or post back here for all to see.

As for marking solved, if you wish to select one - top left of a given post there's a little trophy icon. Selecting that selects a best answer.

Ah OK, I see it now. Yeah I mean I messaged the computer shop earlier this week and they said they would charge around $80 + taxes to install the SSD. I think I will keep the $80, do it myself, and put that towards a new PSU. :)

Yes. Once it arrives and I install it I will shoot you a message. And I will probably be back here once I get a new PSU.