How to install XP on laptop with InsydeH20 Rev3.5 BIOS

RobGood

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
I have an HP Pavilion g6 preinstalled with Windows 7, and want to install XP to make it dual boot.
When I boot from my XP disc I get a blue error screen: 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000
I gather this is to do with SATA and I have to change SATA RAID Auto/AHCI to RAID Auto/ATA in BIOS but InsydeH20 does not show SATA.
I have read the only way to this is with an XP disc burned with something slipstreamed onto it.
Is that right or is there an easier way?

Solution
If you set the drive mode to ATA (or legacy as it's sometimes called), you will no longer be able to boot from the Windows 7 setup unless you do a Repair setup of it.

If you want to run XP, best thing to do is install it in a virtual PC and not a full XP setup. XP setup as dual boot after Win 7 is installed is messy.

Hi

Remember even if you succeed in installing XP it will break Windows 7 startup so you will need a Windows 7 DVD or emergency repair disk to replace Windows 7 boot manager

http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to-create-a-windows-7-system-repair-disc-for-emergency-use/

If you have a USB floppy disk and it is recognised as A: you may be able to put the F6 XP SATA driver on floppy disk

there are tutorials on adding Windows XP after Windows 7

example
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-dual-boot-installation-windows-7-xp.html

regards

Mike Barnes

RobGood

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
Thanks Mike,
It looks as though you are saying there is no easy way simply to change the BIOS settings to allow XP install. It needs a slipsreamed installation disc.
I think I can manage that although I am in slightly new territory.

If I slipstream a disc will it still work with my old Toshiba that the disc comes from or will I need a new disc?

I don't have a built in floppy disk drive and I read somewhere that USB floppy drives and memory sticks don't work for loading the SATA drivers.

I was using super easy-to-follow instructions on how to add XP from
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/8790/dual-boot-your-pre-installed-windows-7-computer-with-xp/

But the instructions do not cover my problem with InsydeH20 rev3.5 BIOS.

Another thought: would a later version of the BIOS get round the problem?

If you set the drive mode to ATA (or legacy as it's sometimes called), you will no longer be able to boot from the Windows 7 setup unless you do a Repair setup of it.

If you want to run XP, best thing to do is install it in a virtual PC and not a full XP setup. XP setup as dual boot after Win 7 is installed is messy.

Solution

RobGood

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013

RobGood

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
I have discovered a Virtual PC is a free software download from Microsoft that allows one to run two operating systems on the same machine and switch between them as easily as between apps.

What I have not discovered is whether to download the 64 bit version because my new machine is running 64 bit Windows 7, or the 32 bit version because I want to run my old 32 bit Windows XP and apps on the new machine.

Also, am I right in thinking once I have installed the correct Virtual PC on my new machine, I will then need to install my old XP OS and software apps onto it?

And will it matter that my old software is 32 bit and the new machine is 64 bit?

Thank you if you can help or direct me to a tutorial.
RobGood

You can run a 32 bit virtual OS inside a 64 bit client OS. Yes, once you setup the virtual PC you will need to install XP onto it. Will look exactly the same as if you were installing it normally, except in a windows within Windows 7. Tutorials for it should be on Microsoft's web site where you found info on the virtual pc in the first place.

RobGood

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013