Question How to investigate faults on Ethernet?

need2sleep

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2013
I have 4 desks that cannot reach my switch. I found that one of them has a fault in wire #1. I'm planning to look at how the RJ45 is set up in the cubicle (is wire 1 obviously broken?) and how it looks going into the back of the patch panel. Any other ideas of where to look, or what to test? I was using this probe, cable probe.

The probe is $28 and really only had one test which showed me which wire is faulting. It says it has 4 tests, but 2 are for telephones, and the others are for Ethernet. But the Ethernet ones are showing you two different ways to display the same data. Pretty rediculous.

Although I'm grateful for what I found out from this probe, it leaves me wondering if higher priced probes would give me more information? Let's say my top end price point is now around $120. It would be nice if the user manual was well written, and written for someone that is not trained as a Network Technician. "Do this, find out that, and this is how you fix it."

Can you direct me to resources that could shore that up? I need a cookbook!

If I fail to fix, they will pay someone to come out. I'd rather have fixed it, given the choice. Progress in getting one working will give me a little extra time to get the remaining one(s) working. As long as they can all get done by early next week.

Thanks,

kanewolf

Titan
I have 4 desks that cannot reach my switch. I found that one of them has a fault in wire #1. I'm planning to look at how the RJ45 is set up in the cubicle (is wire 1 obviously broken?) and how it looks going into the back of the patch panel. Any other ideas of where to look, or what to test? I was using this probe, cable probe.

The probe is $28 and really only had one test which showed me which wire is faulting. It says it has 4 tests, but 2 are for telephones, and the others are for Ethernet. But the Ethernet ones are showing you two different ways to display the same data. Pretty rediculous.

Although I'm grateful for what I found out from this probe, it leaves me wondering if higher priced probes would give me more information? Let's say my top end price point is now around $120. It would be nice if the user manual was well written, and written for someone that is not trained as a Network Technician. "Do this, find out that, and this is how you fix it."

Can you direct me to resources that could shore that up? I need a cookbook!

If I fail to fix, they will pay someone to come out. I'd rather have fixed it, given the choice. Progress in getting one working will give me a little extra time to get the remaining one(s) working. As long as they can all get done by early next week.

Thanks,
I would recommend a Klien -- https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-...ator/dp/B085LPN71C?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1