How to keep using HDD after installing my SSD?

BizSenpai

Honorable
Jun 25, 2014
So I just got my Samsung 840 EVO SSD. I'm about to unplug my C driving and then mount and plug in my SSD. I'll start up the bios and change some things around. I'll then install windows 7.

Now when I finish installing windows 7 on my SSD can I go back and plug in my HDD again? It'll still have my window's files on it, so will that conflict with my new SSD? I still want to use my HDD but I don't know the steps in making this possible.

ALSO I have a second hard drive in with mainly games and stuff on it, do I have to unplug that one aswell when installing windows on the SSD? And should I intall all my drivers before using my HDD again?

Thanks!

Solution
Just install windows with the SSD only in your computer. You can always add the second hard drive as a secondary storage later on and you can identify /format the HDD to use as a secondary storage device using the disk management tool in windows

Edit:You don't have to format the HDD if you have your games on it. It will run fine

If for some reason, it gives you two boot options at PC power on, you could remove the second OS bootable option in msconfig's boot tab

Rhezner

Admirable
just make sure the bios is set to boot from the ssd and you should be fine. and no you dont need to unplug your second hard drive

after windows is installed on your ssd, you can remove the windows files from the old hdd using UNLOCKER
just dont delete anything you want to keep.

BizSenpai

Honorable
Jun 25, 2014

Don't I need to select my DISK Drive for the first boot up if I'm installing windows with a disk?

Reyaz123

Admirable
Just install windows with the SSD only in your computer. You can always add the second hard drive as a secondary storage later on and you can identify /format the HDD to use as a secondary storage device using the disk management tool in windows

Edit:You don't have to format the HDD if you have your games on it. It will run fine

If for some reason, it gives you two boot options at PC power on, you could remove the second OS bootable option in msconfig's boot tab

Solution

Rhezner

Admirable

yes, and then you can select which drive to install it on, you dont need to unplug anything like reyaz said

TRENDING THREADS