[SOLVED] How to know if my cpu is throttling

mrb00ce

Reputable
Jul 28, 2020
So guys i have a core 2 quad q6600 and i want to know if its throttling and can someone fully explain the meaning of cpu throttling and why it happens

Solution
Throttling is a term people will often use with bottlenecking. But bottlenecks is an incredibly misused term.

EVERY system has a a limitation, and that limitation moves constantly based on what you are doing and ultimately, there is rarely anything wrong with a bottleneck.

In CPU intensive applications, your CPU will be a limit. In GPU intensive applications, your GPU will be a limit.

In it's simplest form, when you are running your applications, monitor your individual CPU core % usage and your GPU % usage for example. If you see your CPU running at 100% and your GPU sitting low at 30% usage. Then your CPU is "limiting" your GPU performance and is "throttling".

But ultimately, every system has a limitation, and that bottleneck...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Throttling is a term people will often use with bottlenecking. But bottlenecks is an incredibly misused term.

EVERY system has a a limitation, and that limitation moves constantly based on what you are doing and ultimately, there is rarely anything wrong with a bottleneck.

In CPU intensive applications, your CPU will be a limit. In GPU intensive applications, your GPU will be a limit.

In it's simplest form, when you are running your applications, monitor your individual CPU core % usage and your GPU % usage for example. If you see your CPU running at 100% and your GPU sitting low at 30% usage. Then your CPU is "limiting" your GPU performance and is "throttling".

But ultimately, every system has a limitation, and that bottleneck moves depending on your application so don't worry about it too much. Just upgrade your system so that it performs what you want it to perform, there is nothing inherently wrong about a bottleneck.

The other way you might hear it used is thermal throttling, and is often referring to your CPU or GPU. In this case, if your CPU hits it's thermal max limit (Tj Max on Intel CPUs for example) then the CPU will reduce power and clock down to prevent overheating, this is it's "thermal throttle". So your temperatures are "throttling" it's performance.

Solution

mrb00ce

Reputable
Jul 28, 2020

But ultimately, every system has a limitation, and that bottleneck moves depending on your application so don't worry about it too much. Just upgrade your system so that it performs what you want it to perform, there is nothing inherently wrong about a bottleneck.

The other way you might hear it used is thermal throttling, and is often referring to your CPU or GPU. In this case, if your CPU hits it's thermal max limit (Tj Max on Intel CPUs for example) then the CPU will reduce power and clock down to prevent overheating, this is it's "thermal throttle". So your temperatures are "throttling" it's performance.
Well my cpu temp never goes above 70 while gaming and i do have good cpu cooler does that mean my cpu is throttling

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well my cpu temp never goes above 70 while gaming and i do have good cpu cooler does that mean my cpu is throttling
You'd have to follow this bit that I stated to know this:

when you are running your applications, monitor your individual CPU core % usage and your GPU % usage for example. If you see your CPU running at 100% and your GPU sitting low at 30% usage. Then your CPU is "limiting" your GPU performance and is "throttling".

mrb00ce

Reputable
Jul 28, 2020
In those particular games then technically your GPU is your limit. Bit if your CPU is 90% then it's hardly much of a throttle.

Most importantly, do your games run the way you want them to?
yes they do some demanding games do lag a bit i think its because i'm playing them at a higher resolution.

A GT1030 is an entry level card, often benchmarked at 768P and, likely not well-suited to 1080P gaming at anything other than low settings when/if playing many modern games of the last few years. (Varies by which game, of course) So, you can count on high GPU-usage, and, any quad core (especially an older one)is certain to have high CPU usage as well...

mrb00ce

Reputable
Jul 28, 2020
A GT1030 is an entry level card, often benchmarked at 768P and, likely not well-suited to 1080P gaming at anything other than low settings when/if playing many modern games of the last few years. (Varies by which game, of course) So, you can count on high GPU-usage, and, any quad core (especially an older one)is certain to have high CPU usage as well...
So is my CPU throttling?