Question How to know if my motherboard supports NVME SSD ?

Mar 26, 2019
HI

I Have a ASUS b360 h gaming motherboard and using m2 sata ADATA su800 5212 GB SSD
but i cant seem to find on the specs if it supports NVME SSD?
HOW TO check ?

HI

I Have a ASUS b360 h gaming motherboard and using m2 sata ADATA su800 5212 GB SSD
but i cant seem to find on the specs if it supports NVME SSD?
HOW TO check ?

That's actually a good question: just cause you have an M.2 doesn't mean it supports PCIE drives, and also doesn't mean it supports full PCIE bandwidth for an NVME drive to operate at full potential. Basically, look at the keying.

Put your M keyed NVME in M2.2_2 to be sure it gets full PCIe 3.0 x4 bandwidth. Also be aware that M.2_1 shares it's bandwidth with SATA ports so if you had a drive in SATA_2 it may appear not to be working.

It also appears M2.2_2 won't support an M.2 SATA SSD (B-key or B/M-Key) only M.2 PCIE (NVME) SSD (M-key only). That's not as big a deal as it once was with prices going down: you can get 1Tb M.2 PCIE NVME's at very nearly the same price as 1TB M.2 SATA drives now. They surely aren't the fastest NVME's going but they'll still do at least as well as SATA and far better than a spinner for high speed mass storage for games.

From Asus spec sheet for that board, it supports:
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 2 mode)*3
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)*4

*3 The M.2_1 socket shares bandwidth with SATA_2 port when using M.2 SATA mode device. Adjust BIOS settings to use
SATA device.
*4 The M.2_2 socket supports Intel® Optane™ Technology. Intel® Optane™ Technology only supported when using 8th Generation Intel® Processors.

Last edited:
Reactions: mortoch