Question How to know what is the max ram speed my laptop can handle?

Aug 27, 2022
My gaming laptop is a
ROG Strix G15 G512 (99% positive)

and from basic inspection that I never realized, the 8gb of ram in my computer only fills one slot! Obviously I want to upgrade because its cheap and can go a long way. I'm looking to buy 16gb of DDR4 memory. When it came to what speed, I thought 3600MHz was a pretty good speed until I realized that my laptop might not even be able to support it and I'll be paying more than I need to.

Is there a way to know how much ram speed my laptop can support?

Current RAM speed: 2933 MHz
Slots used: 1 of 4
Form Factor: SODIMM
Hardware reserved: 213 MB

Jennifer S

Prominent
Oct 14, 2021
Honest Opinion Id Try to go with the same Clock speed as the OEM ram. Having differing speeds can cause issues. Id Do what Id do and is Test on how High you can overclock your ram and then you get a decent Limit. IM not exactly experienced. With computers. so take my advise with a grain of salt

My gaming laptop is a
ROG Strix G15 G512 (99% positive)

and from basic inspection that I never realized, the 8gb of ram in my computer only fills one slot! Obviously I want to upgrade because its cheap and can go a long way. I'm looking to buy 16gb of DDR4 memory. When it came to what speed, I thought 3600MHz was a pretty good speed until I realized that my laptop might not even be able to support it and I'll be paying more than I need to.

Is there a way to know how much ram speed my laptop can support?

Current RAM speed: 2933 MHz
Slots used: 1 of 4
Form Factor: SODIMM
Hardware reserved: 213 MB
Is there more to this model number?
G512-?????

Aug 27, 2022
Honest Opinion Id Try to go with the same Clock speed as the OEM ram. Having differing speeds can cause issues. Id Do what Id do and is Test on how High you can overclock your ram and then you get a decent Limit. IM not exactly experienced. With computers. so take my advise with a grain of salt

Well I plan on completely replacing the ram, not adding.

Aug 27, 2022

not sure but this is what it says

unknown.png

unknown.png