Question How to know which PC component is dead?

lolukassss

Commendable
Aug 17, 2018
One day I plugged in my USB cable and my PC froze in place. After that, I could not get past POST phase and now it does not boot up, but it does power up (case fans, cpu fans, lighting all working). I also get CPU EZ Debug Light once it powers on.

So, firstly I suspected my PSU is faulty. So I bought new PSU and replaced it. With new PSU the PC doesn't even power on, it only makes click sound for millisecond and then stops. After that I do not get the clicking sound anymore, unless I restart my power outlet (weird?). I tried to bootup with only CPU and MB cable plugged in to the new PSU - still doesn't turn on.

Now, I want to know which component is faulty. My assumptions is that it either has to be the motherboard or the CPU. I am almost completely assured it has to be CPU or MB because I have different RAM sticks and I tried them all without any success to POST, additionally I tried to boot up without GPU and it would not even power on just like before. Goes without saying - all cables seem fine and it does not seem like I have any CPU bent pins in place.

How can I know if I need to replace my CPU or my Motherboard?

lolukassss

Commendable
Aug 17, 2018
reset the BIOS by jumper clrCMOS

most likely the motherboard is fried because of the USB incident

which exact hardware do you use? PSU, motherboard, CPU, RAM, GPU?

Did reset already

PSU is brand new, I bought new one 1 day ago
Motherboard is MSI Z270-a pro
CPU Intel i7 7700K
RAM is corsair vengeance 16 gb 3200 MHz, but its irrelevant cause I have different stick which I tested as well
GPU is 1080 TI which is also irrelevant cause it did not boot up without GPU anyways

Also I used to get random BSODs and my RAM could not run at default speeds so I had to under-clock the RAM for system not to freeze (very strange cause mobo supports default RAM speeds). This was when I was able to boot up still though.

which PSU did you get? brand and model

which BSODs did you get?

which bios version is installed?

8pin ATX power connector plugged in as well?

Is the motherboard still in the case or breadboarded?

Check the processor socket pins of the motherboard. Any bent or discolored pins?

lolukassss

Commendable
Aug 17, 2018
which PSU did you get? brand and model

which BSODs did you get?

which bios version is installed?

8pin ATX power connector plugged in as well?

Is the motherboard still in the case or breadboarded?

Check the processor socket pins of the motherboard. Any bent or discolored pins?

which PSU did you get? brand and model - corsair rmx 750w
which BSODs did you get? - cant remember, multiple different ones
which bios version is installed?- Newest one
8pin ATX power connector plugged in as well? - of course
Is the motherboard still in the case or breadboarded? - I tried breadbording it and it did not help.
Check the processor socket pins of the motherboard. Any bent or discolored pins? - no bent pins

Last edited:
Because you wrote it´s the latest BIOS, I wanted to ask if you know which version it is.

Try the motherboard outside the case on a non conducting surface. Reset the BIOS again by using the clear CMOS jumper.
Only install/connect one RAM (dimm slot A2), PSU, CPU with cooler and fan, monitor to the motherboard

Do you use the original cables from the delivered PSU or others from a different PSU/extra bought modular cables?