Question how to limit data usage on laptop?

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
Hi, my situation is I have a laptop which will be mostly used outside (where No lan or WiFi),
and I have a pocket WiFi that data SIM can be inserted. However, due to budget and my
purpose I do not use unlimited data plan but I only have about 1GB a month, 1GB isn't too
much but the price is right.

I will mostly only visit websites and forums and read text or send text through it and I wouldn't
mind blocking pictures, do you have any tips or practice to reduce use of data? (on a Laptop, not mobile devices)
Is it possible that all images on a website is not downloaded unless I clicked on them?
or is there any way to keep the downloaded images so that they will not be downloaded again
next time??

hi, first of all set up metered connection
open windows settings, network & internet, wi-fi, here click on "manage known networks", here click on your wifi network (that pocket wifi) and select properties, set is as metered connection (turn it on),
then click on "set a data limit to help .....", click "data usage" on your network and enter limit based on your 1GB renew date
this will help with windows core apps (windows update/maps/etc)

as far as images in websites goes, its browser specific, can be changed, which browser(s) are u using?

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
hi, first of all set up metered connection
open windows settings, network & internet, wi-fi, here click on "manage known networks", here click on your wifi network (that pocket wifi) and select properties, set is as metered connection (turn it on),
then click on "set a data limit to help .....", click "data usage" on your network and enter limit based on your 1GB renew date
this will help with windows core apps (windows update/maps/etc)

as far as images in websites goes, its browser specific, can be changed, which browser(s) are u using?

No problem, Firefox or Chrome, which one is better?

Another thing, can I configure to keep the cache as long as possible so that same image on the same site won't be downloaded again on second visit? Is it what cache does? By the way, do you recommend using ad-blocker extension so that ad is blocked too and data is saved?

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
Keep in mind that just Windows updates can use up quite a bit of bandwidth. You need to make sure you find a way to connect to a non-restricted connection at times to do the updates.

A pretty comprehensive guide is here https://www.groovypost.com/howto/manage-windows-10-data-usage/#:~:text=Go to Start > Settings > Network,on Set as metered connection.

OK, but how about browsing habit?
99% of time the laptop will only be used to read text or send text through websites e.g.forums