How to load balance two ISP (two routers) using a third router (reusing ASUS DSL-N55U if possible)

Nov 10, 2018
Hello,
I recently added a second VDSL connection to my home network.
Thus I have two routers, one connected by VDSL to first provider (ISP1) and a second connected by another VDSL link to a second provider (ISP2).
They're configured as:
ISP1 -> 192.168.1.1 (255.255.255.0) dhcp on (DHCP addresses from 192.168.1.65 to .127)
ISP2 -> 192.168.1.254 (255.255.255.0) dhcp on (addresses limited to 192.168.1.128 to .192)
I can reach one ISP at time configuring my PC's setup "Gateway" as 192.168.1.1 OR 192.168.1.254 but not both at same time, as you can configure only one gateway.

I would like to load balance the two links, and was wondering if it possible to do.

I have an old Asus DSL-N55U that is used as Wi-fi router (192.168.1.2, 255.255.255.0, dhcp off), connected to both subnets, each one connected to one ISP router, and thought if N55 can be configured in such a way to subdivide traffic to the two links (for example by a routing table, that seems supported by it, or any other way) to enhance torrent speed (and take advance of local peer discovery, as one provider give best performance when torrenting with other peers on the same private ISP network (10.*) where router is connected, while the other is directly connected to internet with a public IP address, though dynamic and not static ).
I tried to set 192.168.1.2 (N55) as gateway on PC but this do not work.
Any suggestion? Is it possible? Alternative to load balance torrenting on two WANs ?

It is not going to be easy, especially with the equipment you plan to use.
- There are no custom firmware images available for xDSL routers.
- Your existing VDSL routers should be able to be turned into "transparent mode", eliminating router (and WiFi) functions
- You need load-balancing router, and probably WiFi APs after it.

"Load Balancing" does not mean that if you have two DSL lines 10Mbps each, you'll be able to download / stream single file at 20Mbps. Moreover, you'll be able to download two files at 10Mbps each.

If I was you, I'd rethink why I need load-balancing - for performance or redundancy.

Nov 10, 2018
@Alabalcho thank you for your answer, my wish is to learn a little about complex configurations, maybe I gone ballistic reading DSL-N55U spin (https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/13889-asus-dsl-n55u/reviews/), as they say can manage double WAN (but I 'm not understanding how).

Focus is on performance. I discovered using two VM on PC (one per gateway) that ISP-2 peer network, when active, is ten times quicker than ISP-1, but not always active (as often no internal peer is downloading same torrent) and very slower when peers are external to its own network (i.e on internet).
However using two VM (with one utorrent instance each) overload the HD; and I strongly prefer using Download Manager Application on DSL-N55U, that require no PC turned on, thus saving energy and help to save the world :) .

The redundancy needed by intrusion detection is already given by a GSM card, though a new connection do not harm.

VDSL routers already work with Wi.fi deactivated. No idea about transparent mode, can it have another name ? What it is intended to do?

About load balancing, even a differentiate path could do, i.e. sending all traffic addressed to ISP-2 own addresses (I found a list, is short enough, plus 10.* addresses) through VDSL-2 and all the rest to VDSL-1. I know this is not load balancing, but could be enough for my use. But I'm not able to do this, too: I think a static set of routes on DSL-N55 should work, but it does not. It seems all more simple when professionals do that (I saw them working at office, but using Cisco routers).

Nov 10, 2018

According with the spin Asus DSL-N55U should do that, although I'm not anymore so sure now.
Likely is my fault and I'm not knowledgeable enough, but no idea on what I'm doing wrong.