Question How to lock down Windows Task Manager ?

accesscpu_

Honorable
May 7, 2019
So I'm still dealing with (more aggravated by) an issue that I've found has been around since my Windows XP days. Programs constantly adding/re-adding themselves to my Task Manager.

I either delete the tasks or disable them, and then over time (sometimes immediately at reboot), they take it upon themselves to reinsert or reenable themselves. This is supremely annoying, and I'm wondering if there has ever been a way devised to have more control or "lock" the Windows task manager. To where they at least require my permission to do so. Is this a thing, or is there a work-around anyone has devised to do that?

Programs constantly adding/readding themselves to my Task Manager.
I either delete the tasks or disable them, and then over time (sometimes immediately at reboot), they take it upon themselves to reinsert or reenable themselves.
What programs?
Can you show any screenshots?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

How do you delete or disable tasks in Task Manager? Did you mean startup apps?

Reactions: Ralston18

accesscpu_

Honorable
May 7, 2019
Thanks! Here is a screenshot of my task manager (for reference). Many of these options have been disabled inside their native app settings (like running update services), for example. Any ideas on how to nuke these so they stop enabling/returning?

Mchn1i4.png

gardenman

Splendid
Bitdefender Agent WatchDog - If you are using BitDefender and it runs when your system starts, it's unlikely you can disable this. It will probably be re-created each time. You can look around in any options it has and maybe it will allow you disable it. I think "watchdogs" usually watch for an app to crash and if it does they reopen it for you.

CCleanerCrashReporting - Right click on the task and delete this one. CCleaner will run fine without it. Also look in CCleaner settings and disable any auto-updates or crash reporting, etc. Go into Options / Privacy and disable everything.

CCleanerSkipUAC - It's only run when CCleaner starts up. It allows CCleaner to skip the "User Account Control" dialog. Leave this one alone. Or to disable, uncheck CCleaner / Options / Advanced / Skip User Account Control warning ... and enjoy the annoying prompt each time you run it.