[SOLVED] How to make a 2nd LAN?

BarisTheBlade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2014
Hello guys! I have a rather network question. I'm running a minecraft server from a laptop. 2 other pcs are connected to the laptop via router. The router is a TP-link AC1200 and everything connected via RJ45 UTP. All devices have 1Gbps LAN port. At the same time i would like to stream from my laptop and sending the video signal to my laptop trough a capture card from my PC. Now the problem is that I cant stream because the minecraft server is taking up too much bandwith from my network and the bandwidth not controlled properly so my stream will most like disconnect because the network is loaded. I'm trying to find a solution for this.

My 1st solution in theory sounds good: I have only 500 Mbps internet connection. So in theory if somehow Limit the bandwidth to 500 Mbps towards the internet and 500 Mbps between my Laptop and 2 PCs it should work, The theory is good but i have no idea how to achieve this.

Now my 2nd idea is that i buy 3 network cards, An external to my laptop and join via USB and 2 internals for my 2(i dont own both actually) PCs. I connect thish 2nd network trough an 1 Gbps Ethernet switch and set fix IP adresses. Is this solution could work? Do i get an independent LAN this way and would this be an easier solution than limiting a bandwidth?
Anyone have any tips? Maybe a tutorial video or something what shows me how to do this? Or any experience to share? Thank you for the answers in advance

Solution
My Laptop have 1G ethernet port. Still when im hosting it takes like almost the whole bandwith from the network. Where should i start to look at?
There is no way a Minecraft server is taking that much bandwidth on a 1gbit ethernet port, you'd run into performance issue well before a 1gb is saturated from a Minecraft server.

But I'm also not fully understanding what you want to do, If you have a capture card and want to capture your laptops screen, no network bandwidth is required for that, use the desktop to stream, a 500mbps connection is way more than enough to handle a bunch of Minecraft servers and still have plenty of room to stream, I feel like you are running into a different problem.

Also adding in more network ports...

kanewolf

Titan
Hello guys! I have a rather network question. I'm running a minecraft server from a laptop. 2 other pcs are connected to the laptop via router. The router is a TP-link AC1200 and everything connected via RJ45 UTP. All devices have 1Gbps LAN port. At the same time i would like to stream from my laptop and sending the video signal to my laptop trough a capture card from my PC. Now the problem is that I cant stream because the minecraft server is taking up too much bandwith from my network and the bandwidth not controlled properly so my stream will most like disconnect because the network is loaded. I'm trying to find a solution for this.

My 1st solution in theory sounds good: I have only 500 Mbps internet connection. So in theory if somehow Limit the bandwidth to 500 Mbps towards the internet and 500 Mbps between my Laptop and 2 PCs it should work, The theory is good but i have no idea how to achieve this.

Now my 2nd idea is that i buy 3 network cards, An external to my laptop and join via USB and 2 internals for my 2(i dont own both actually) PCs. I connect thish 2nd network trough an 1 Gbps Ethernet switch and set fix IP adresses. Is this solution could work? Do i get an independent LAN this way and would this be an easier solution than limiting a bandwidth?
Anyone have any tips? Maybe a tutorial video or something what shows me how to do this? Or any experience to share? Thank you for the answers in advance
If your laptop is gigabit ethernet, then the minecraft server shouldn't be a problem. There is plenty of bandwidth for a minecraft server and anything else on a gigabit lan.
If your laptop is 100Mbit, then you could have problems.

My Laptop have 1G ethernet port. Still when im hosting it takes like almost the whole bandwith from the network. Where should i start to look at?
There is no way a Minecraft server is taking that much bandwidth on a 1gbit ethernet port, you'd run into performance issue well before a 1gb is saturated from a Minecraft server.

But I'm also not fully understanding what you want to do, If you have a capture card and want to capture your laptops screen, no network bandwidth is required for that, use the desktop to stream, a 500mbps connection is way more than enough to handle a bunch of Minecraft servers and still have plenty of room to stream, I feel like you are running into a different problem.

Also adding in more network ports wont magically make your connection faster, it could increase the bandwidth to the router if windows plays well with it which doesn't happen often, especially if its of a different brands, a single 1Gbit port should be well more than enough for what your doing from what I gather from your original post.

Reactions: Cj-tech
Solution